Buildind rods

Outdoorarki

Reaction score
What can you guys tell me about building rods? I got a catolog from Mud Hole rod building supplies yesterday. Looks pretty neat. I am a hands on kind of guy. I like to try new things all the time. But I am still in the market for a sage rod.

BigCliff

Reaction score
Rod building is a lot of fun, but it sure can get expensive. (especially if you buy a lathe to shape your own cork handles from rings) It can also be done very reasonably. It is true that you can customize a rod to suit your fancy moreso than any factory bought rod ever could. Its also true that while the blank that you're building on may have a lifetime warranty, you still have to put new guides, wrappings, and epoxy on the new piece when you get it back from the factory.

Building a sage will definitly save you some money over MSRP, but is suggest practicing on some cheaper blanks before you run the risk of messing up an expensive blank. Last I checked, www.rod-blanks.com had some SCREAMING deals on blanks that would be good to get started with. (Hint: if you got one of their 6' fiberglass spin blanks ($5) and built it up as a fly rod, this guy might even buy one of your first projects)

Outdoorarki

Reaction score
Thanks Cliff. They really have some great deals. I will have to give it a try with them.