Pontoon boats

mac1839

Reaction score
I've used a float tube for awhile now and am thinking of making the jump to a personal pontoon boat. I've looked at a few and looked at some online. So far I like the Outcast Fish Cat Cougar with the double pontoons per side. It is rigged for an anchor system (although not included) and a few other features I like. Does anyone have any comments or experience with this or any other pontoon boats. I plan on using on our slow moving Platte river here in Wyoming and on some lakes.
Thanks in advance
Mark

MikeLove

Reaction score
mac,, I own an outcast fishcat and find it to be my fishing machine. the dual pontoons ride lower in the water and give you a wider platform on each side to lay your gear and rod. I also lay a 27lb gell cell wheel chair battery in the crack between the dual pontoon for my trolling motor..I also use fins with mine in still water. I sent my boat over to a fabricator and had an aluminum sliding standing platform with leaning rail added to my boat for stand up fishing in still water..It slides under my seat when not in use.. I have made serveral float trips on small rivers and fished many ponds...You will love it..

mac1839

Reaction score
Thanks a ton Mike! I would like to see a pic of the platform cause that sounds like a great way to go. Did you put a rod holder on it? If so was it the type that straps around the pontoon?
Thanks again for your input.
Mark

MikeLove

Reaction score
Mac, I haven't used a rod holder yet cause I can just lay it next to me on the pontoon. They do offer it as an accessory. The pontoons have 8 straps that attatch to a D ring on the sides of the pontoon and secure to the frame. It allows you to slip pontoons forward and back for weight distribution. I am going to attatch pic. The slid allows the platform to slide back under the seat.

Snuffy

Reaction score
Pontoon boat.

You might have a look at the SOTAR pontoon boat.
They are constructed in Merlin,Oregon. Excellent
boat. They are rated for class 5 water, very
stable, well constructed with a top knotch rowing
frame. They make them in one and two person
configuration. Cheers,

Snuffy:D

Joni

Reaction score
Pictures of my husband and my boats. The flush mount rod holder is now three of them. Point rods out back and slightly to the left and I can take three loaded rods, plus carry the forth (floating, floating rigged for deep nymphing, intermediate or type II, type V or depth charge and wet cell type II for weedy places)

http://www.pbase.com/albot/cardiac_pics

waynemorgan

Reaction score
mike,,do you use that pontoon on the lower mt fork very much ?? and do you have have a permit for a boat too.??? thanks

MikeLove

Reaction score
Waynemorgan, I do not use my pontoon boat in the lower mountain fork..there are very few location that one could put to float..However in zone 1 you could fish the evening hole down to the swimming hole. In zone 2 you would have to pack it a long ways down the river to put in and I only see a few tubes below the dam. However at the re-rig dam you could fish below it where they put he canoes in for floats down river.. I mostly fish ponds the upper mountain fork and the glover river..I had to raise my standing platform about 3 inches to a 2" deep box located just under the seat now it fishes well.. mikelove

waynemorgan

Reaction score
thanks,mike
i have not been there for some years but when fuel prices drop i am going back for about two weeks ,i hope to have everything set up by then....

steelheadrob

Reaction score
Another alternative is the Watermaster boat. It packs into a backpack weighing 40lbs. It's great for floating rivers and in lakes its pretty good aswell. It's also fairly affordable which is a bonus :icon_bigg

waynemorgan

Reaction score
i just saw a home made pontoon that was on the way to the coast it was made from 8 inch pvc pipe and other tubing it looked like sh** but it works i think,it cost lest then 200.00 (wish i had some pics of it )

mojo

Reaction score
How much you want to spend on them is what will determine the boat you'll get. PVC bladders are the least expensive, urethane next up, and bladderless and probably hard sided type will be the most expensive.Sewn fabric, sewn and welded seams etc. Frame construction will play into that factor too. Steel tubing at the low end, stainless like Bucks Bags, or aluminum in the top end.
If you plan on fishing stillwater or running rivers, get the best you can afford. You won't regret it.

LuckySomer

Reaction score
I sent my boat over to a fabricator and had an aluminum sliding standing platform with leaning rail added to my boat for stand up fishing in still water..It slides under my seat when not in use..
Love to see your design. sounds like a great solution. LOL just saw the photos further down in the thread. cool set up.

Last edited: