Dog and trout:do they mix

phantomdriver

Reaction score
New to fly fishing... Spent some time last fall scouting section 4 of the chattooga with my g retriever...stopped and fished some from the banks and no problem with the dog staying put. Question is this spring I will put my waders on and fish from the river, and will tie the dog up as I go into the river. Anyone else fish with a dog along and if so how do you keep him/her out of the water...thanks...great site...I am learning a lot thanks to all of your comments and info

Pd :)

Frank Whiton

Most Senior Member
Reaction score
Hi phantomdriver,

Welcome to the forum. I am glad you are enjoying your time here. We have some really great people as members.

About the dog, if you are driving a Rolls-Royce Phantom then you could hire someone to watch the dog.:) Golden Retrievers are wonderful dogs that train well. You should be able to get him to stay on shore. Where I find trouble with dogs is in small canoes. They love to jump into the water and scare the devil out of you.

Frank

Davo

Reaction score
Pd

Welcome to the Forum. Can't help much on the dog, my Lab hated water so we never fished together. :(

jpbfly

Super Moderator
Reaction score
:welcomean PD....fished once with a friend who had a dog long ago....spent his time running all around and diving into the river:eek: I won't do it again:D

popperfly

Reaction score
Welcome Phantomdriver,

I take my chocolate Lab all the time fishing, he just hangs out on the river bank or once in a while he will decide to take a swim. All I can do is laugh, can't get mad I brought him there. :)

madjoni

Reaction score
Hi Phantomdriver

I did it couple times and must agree with jbbfly...I dont want to do it again:D

gt05254

Reaction score
I found, with my setters, that if I'm out there in it up to my waist or higher, they figure they should be, too. So we confine our outdoorsy "pursuits" together to feathered quarry.
Gary

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Phantomdrive: When my lab was still alive, he loved water, but I only took him out in the drift boat, he did real well there, he was too excited to try stream fishing with me wading and the dog on the bank, but I have seen some dogs that do real well. Welcome to the forum. With that username did you fly F-4's?

Larry

phantomdriver

Reaction score
---------- Post added at 02:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:35 PM ----------

And Larry that looks like a warthog you're using as a logo...nice to be a part of the brotherhood;)

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Yep... About 3000hrs in the ole bird... Nice ride;)
Yes, it was a pretty cool flying machine! I was lucky enough to get a back seat ride in the F-4 while we where on a trip to Iceland once. At the time I was in Stan Eval, primarily flying the F-106 and T-33, later on I flew the A-10 at Eielson AFB for four years before retiring.

Larry

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi PD and welcome to the group,

It is actually a matter of if you and the dog can work things out so that you both have fun. I have fished with Setters, pointers, and a German Shepherd. All of them understood what we were doing and all were great to have along. I have put a link in my signature here that leads to a blog containing stories about Alaska. I just wrote one called A Man & His Dog in Alaska. The story demonstrates how things can go wrong when you are with your dog on a river. When you have time take a look and don't let it happen to you :)

Ard

phantomdriver

Reaction score
Thanks Ard...nice story and well told...will keep it in mind when on the river with my dog...kinda a thinking of tying him to about 10th lead and stay in one spot... Pain in the ... To get him undone to move, but I ;) do enjoy his company

ausablebrown

Reaction score
I have a young yellow lab, and there is no fishing with him around...I'd love to, but it is one or the other for me. That said, I am not a seasoned dog trainer like some of the birders in this forum. Perhaps they have methods of training the "lab" out of the dog...

I'm sure it can be done, but the level of training expertise it will take, especially when a water dog is involved could be tremendous; I have neither the luxury of time for training or the expertise to do it so I either play with the dog, or go fishing.

waldow

Reaction score
Phantomdriver- you weren't flying F-4s in VN ,were you? I lay in the Paddies watching many F-4 sorties from below and a beautiful site it was!

I have 2 dogs that will not stay out of the water. I cannot under any condition take them to a creek and fish. Need "the dog whisperer" I guess.

gatortransplant

Reaction score
When I take my dog fishing, I bring a long length of rope and attach it to her collar if necessary. It depends on how excited she is at the time and if I've exercised her yet that day. Some days she'll go swimming around in the water looking for fish and I love spending time out on the water with her so if I don't catch anything because of her swimming about I don't even mind! However, if I'm fishing somewhere where others fish I keep her near me so that she doesn't ruin the fishing for others with her antics! If I keep her on shore, she gets jealous that I'm in the water and makes sure that I know!

As far as keeping a dog out of the water, especially a retriever, I would say make sure they get good exercise beforehand and bring something to entertain them (even a stick from shore works with mine). It's amazing how much a difference a little exercise makes for a dog's behavior. An obedience class or two is also helpful, because many dogs are not happy being forced to sit at a distance from their buddy, especially when their buddy gets to play in the water and they are stuck on shore! Obedience training will help both the dog, the owner, and the ears of others around the not-so-happy hound!

Guest1

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada bor
My last Golden Retriever was not a problem fishing. He couldn't swim and he knew it. My new one is a whole different story. She swims like an Otter and enjoys it just about as much. It generally depends on where I'm fishing, but most places I can't take her along.

When I say my last one couldn't swim, I don't mean I didn't let him. I mean he just couldn't. He fell off my dock and I had to go in and rescue him. He was a big dog. 87 lbs. without an ounce of fat on him. He tried to drown us both while I side stroked him to the neighbors pontoon boat.

My new one chasing a goose while a try and fish. She likes swimming around right in front of me.

Last edited: