Salt Water Fly Fishing closest to Orlando...Help Please :)

chris_n

Reaction score
Hey guys, My wife and I are coming out to Orlando during christmas break. I am dying to try my hand at salt water fly fishing and would love to catch a bone fish or other salt water fish. I have been cruising the internet and found that most of the permit and bonefish are around the Keys which is a decent drive from Orlando. So I was hoping someone could help me out and point me towards the closest place to Orlando where I can catch some salt water fish.

Also I realize I may not be coming at t he best time of year so any pointers you can give me and recommended flies would be great. I am not looking for any hot spots just a good general area to wade in and catch some fish.

I have a Sage Vxi 9wt salt water rod and lamson reel, will this be enough? and what fish should I target?

Thanks in advance everyone, I really appreciate it.

chuck s

Reaction score
From Orlando the closest salt fly fishing is out of either Titusville, or Cocoa. The Indian and Banana Rivers, both salt water estuaries offer Redfishing, Sea Trout, Jacks, and a few others to keep you busy. The best areas for wading would likely be the Indian River out of Titusville. Head over there, cross the bridge and causeway out toward the National Seashore, take a left at the Y, on the major highway Ying off to the north, once you leave the water, and then once you get to an arched bridge crossing a large waterway you've arrived at DIY wading central.

Coming back toward Titusville on the left you'll see an old weather station and little road, that goes back and edges southerly along Mosquito Lagoon finally ending up back on the National Seashore access road. Fish the canals and wade cautiously as some of the areas along this side of the Lagoon are mucky. Once out to the National Seashore go down past the parking lots till you see the sign for a boat ramp on your left--back in there the wading is firmer and you are on the Ocean side of Mosquito Lagoon.

Now back to that humped back bridge or Haulover Canal, -coming back toward Titusville you'll find several roads to the right through old orange and grapefruit groves that lead to the Indian River and wading. Primary targets for all these places are Reds, Black Drum, Sea Trout, Jacks, and Ladyfish. There are also lots of neat birds once you get back in the vicinity where the road Ys off from the National Seashore Access road. It's the Black Point Refuge and everywhere they build a road they dug a canal and the canals have fish including young Tarpon and Snook.

If you can do it a wise move would be a half day or more with either John Turcot, Mosquito Lagoon Fishing Guide or Eric Perez east central florida, orlando & mosquito lagoon fishing with Capt. Eric Perez as both are very knowledgeable fly fishing guides and your time will be well invested.:cool:

chris_n

Reaction score
Chuck/Grassonfly,

Wow, I really appreciate the detailed advice. I have heard good things about Indian River and Mosquito bay so I will have to check those out and I truly appreciate the directions. I was also curious if you guys have any advice on fishing for those species during the December months? Any fly recommendations? and since I have never fished saltwater how should I setup my leaders and what fish require a shock leader?

I really wanted to try my hand at some bone fishing but from what I have found out I need to head down to the keys for that am I correct in that assumption?

Also I am willing to travel a few hours outside of Orlando so if you know of any "Must Fish" areas I would appreciate you helping me make this an awesome trip. I will be there for 11 days and if I am not fishing I will be forced to hang with the in laws :eek: excuses are a must.

Thanks guys, I appreciate it, really.:bowdown:

chuck s

Reaction score
Correct on the Keys and Bonefish. For a leader I used, in general, for the Indian River a 9 ft tapered leader of 60/20/20 proportions ending in a 12 lb test tippet. My go to flies were Brown and Yellow and Red/White bendbacks for Reds and Sea Trout. a black Muddler looking fly with Beadchain eyes for Black Drum, a great target during winter months, a White Wooley Bugger for snook tied with white marabou tail, white hackle and white Estaz body. Throw in a couple of Dupree Spoon Flies in gold, and a few Deceivers and Clousers in Chartruse and various colors and you've bout got it. I always carried a medium sized Dahlberg in Red and White or Red/Yellow for surface fishing for Tarpon and others, especially in the canals out there toward Mosq. Lagoon and near Black's Point. Carry some 30-40 lb test for shock leaders for when Tarpon or Snook are around. (fishing mangrove shorelines and in canals where you see them )

chris_n

Reaction score
I was also looking around for a place to rent a skiff or something to cruise the lagoon but cant seem to find anyone that, any recommendations ? Also how is the water clarity over there in mosquito lagoon and should there be any concern with gators and wading ?

brookfieldangler

Reaction score
I will also be out in Orlando the 8th of December through the 14th and probably fishing on the 12th.

For Indian River, since it's a salt water estuary, I would need a non-res saltwater license, right?

Also, does the river see much red action in mid december?If not, what would the primary species be that I would be looking for - the black drum?

wt bash

Reaction score
If you wanna have fun on the cheap head to a marina and toss clousers or shrimp looking patterns at pillings. Fun thing is you don't know whats going to hit, could be small snook, ladyfish, sheepshead, smaller snappers, and jack crevalle. Go to the same type of spot at night and cast small poppers like crease minnows into the dock light reflections.

theboz

Reaction score
I will also be out in Orlando the 8th of December through the 14th and probably fishing on the 12th.

For Indian River, since it's a salt water estuary, I would need a non-res saltwater license, right?

Also, does the river see much red action in mid december?If not, what would the primary species be that I would be looking for - the black drum?
You need a non resident salt water license. Look to get sea trout as well as jacks along with reds . Lots of ladyfish also!