Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Looking for a guide in the keys/s. miami area

Default Looking for a guide in the keys/s. miami area

Any recommendations for a flats guide around the keys/ or South miami?

I will be in Florida Dec. 18-Jan 2.
    My girlfriend wants to help me get a charter and guide as a graduation gift.
    Her folks live on a boat down there. We've stayed on Islamorada in the past, but are willing to drive some where on the keys or south of miami. Everglades could work also.

Caught my first barracuda and bonefish last summer, but both were pretty small.
    Hoping to find migrating tarpon, snook, permit, reds, and some bigger bones.
    I will be traveling with a 11wt, 300yd backing setup, and a 7wt with maybe 120yds backing. I have a bunch of flies ranging from shrimp, crazy charlies, etc, to bigger **** punchers and gurgler patterns. Also lots of deceivers and clousers.
    An adult tarpon would be a dream, I would be happy hunting many species though.

Instagram page @tblom77

Default Re: Looking for a guide in the keys/s. miami area

Scott Hamilton or Dave Sadler

Two top guides for me are Bou Bosso and Vic Gaspeney. One young one old both great. If they are not available stop at Bud n Marys and they can usually set you up on short notice.

---------- Post added at 11:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:02 PM ----------

If you need phone #s send me a PM and I'll set you up.
    "I was born to fish" Lee Wulff
    "There's more B.S. in fly fishing then there is in a Kansas feedlot." Lefty Kreh
    " It ain't over till it's over." Yogi Berra
    "Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser

4. Default Re: Looking for a guide in the keys/s. miami area

Check out Joe Gonzales Funny Bone Charters!! Great Guy and Guide

You might contact Capt. Bob Lemay in the Miami area. I know he does night fishing for tarpon and snook under the bridges and he also does the glades. I have never fished a guide but if I ever get to the area he will be my first.

I've never had a guide either, other than deep sea fishing (more like a skipper baiting lines).

My first week of salt water fly fishing was a learning experience (we were on Islamorada, then down on the Yucatan in Mexico). Caught a baby barracuda, small snapper, and a baby bonefish. Missed a few others and had some cool sightings. Seeing a 3-4 foot nurse shark swim right under the nose of a stand-up-paddle board in 4 feet of water was amazing. Should have been fishing a weighted shrimp instead of that deceiver!

I learned I have no idea when or where to fish the tides. Common sense put me on a few fish, but it became obvious that a guide would be extremely helpful. A rental kayak made things easier getting around the 'groves in the keys. I tried to tip the rental guy for delivering the boat; he turned out to be the owner and refused the tip, but as a thank you told me about a hard to find 'hurricane hole' through a shallow passage. Turned out to be the best fishing spot we found, and the only place we were not fighting current.

Instagram page @tblom77