Deep Creek

Red Owl

Reaction score
I'm a Florida flatlander and even though I do a fair amount of walking the Smokies sort of wear me out BUT I sort of want to fish Deep Creek and hike in to the Bryson Place and see the Kephart marker, etc, and cast were Mark Cathy did. I know some of you folks can run uphill like rabbits but for a flatlander who walks 3-5 miles a day- how long would it take to hike up to the Bryson Place? Do most folks make it an overnight camping trip or do it in a day? Thanks.:cool:

stimulator2

Reaction score
It is about 8miles to the Bryson place so you might want to stay a couple days unless you feel like walking in fishing and going back out , it can be done but you said you was a flat lander so you might want to rest and fish.

Red Owl

Reaction score
Thanks Stimulator2: The first trip to the smokies was when I was about 15 but I didn't fish- just looked at the mountains, etc. Last year was my fish fishing trip. One guy told me that a lot of the best areas required long walks but this year I sort of did a run and gun sampler just to see as many streams as possible. If I do hike up 7 miles, do I get away from the crowds or are there still a fair number of fishermen that far up? Inaddition to Deep Creek I am thinking about the east prong of the Little River on the Tennsessee side, I think you have to hike in about 7 miles to reach fisherman's prong, etc.
On the time? If the trail is wide and smooth then I'd figure 7 miles in maybe 2 to 2 1/2 hours? Is that correct? Or if there are roots, rocks, stream crossings, etc- longer than 3 hours? How steep a climb- easy grade all the way or lots of ups and downs? Thanks for any help.
Last trip I caught mostly rainbows and a few browns. Is there a spot that is reliable for brookies?

stimulator2

Reaction score
Red owl deep creek trail is up and down all the way in and it depends on the time of year if there will. E crowds I have been when no one was there and I have been when people where all up and down the trail fishing as for the other side of the mountain I have not fished the pigeon so I can not tell you about it I have fished LIttle RIver the comes out of Elkmont and goes to Townsend Tenn.and the Cades Cove area .

fearnofishbob

Reaction score
Rabbit Skin N.C. (Western North Carolina)
Red Owl...... I started backpacking and fishing Deep Creek in 1959.... I've been from one end to the other and I've fished just about every feeder stream up there...... including the left hand fork almost to its springhead.... gets a bit small above Keg Drive Branch....

BEST thing for you to do is get a copy the the National Geograpic "Great Smoky Mountains" illustrated trail map...you can, I'm sure, find it online at several sources...this map is a great source of information about camp sites, milages, almost anything you need to know about both N.C. and Tenn.
I've fished it numerous time in the years gone by when I wouldn't see another sole for several day on end....unfortunately times have changed...
another great source of information is found in books written by Jim Casada he also spent alot of his youth on Deep Creek....
Best of luck to you....its a beautiful place

Red Owl

Reaction score
Bob- I have that book. I guess what I was trying to figure out is if a day trip allows enough time to hike into an area with good fishing and few people and how long it would take (2 hours, etc) to hike into such an area, OR if you really had to make an overnight backpacking trip out of the venture and if so, how far in and how long would it take to reach a good area by backpacking?
In other words, if it took three hours to hike in 5 miles to X and three hours out so a back pack trip is best- that kind of information. The book really didn't give an idea of how long it took to reach some areas- like the Old Bryson Place or if you had to hike in that far to get to a good area.

waterfordcreek

Reaction score
Deep Creek can be tough on you Floridians. I know...:eek: My first trip here 8 years ago was Deep Creek...we went in from 441...my thoughts were the only thing at the bottom of this trail is the devil himself. It is an overnight.

They fishing can be fantastic and the sights and history are very cool. You will have to work for it.

A favorite of mine is Elkmont. I probably fish it over 100x a year. Great front country sites access to some amazing back country sites...not even a mile up the little river trailhead the crowds will disappear. My personal favorite back country sites are 24-30. Depending on the time of year...they will both have bear warnings. I dont stay overnight much, i am door-door in 20 minutes to Elkmont.

Gave a great trip.....

Last edited:

fearnofishbob

Reaction score
Rabbit Skin N.C. (Western North Carolina)
RedOwl, the map will prove invaluable to you..... I can assure you that to hike to the Bryson Place, fish for a few hours and hike out would really be a "full" day.... if possible stay overnight.... there is so much water up there that needs to be fished....we used to stay 5-9 days on the average and I have stayed 11 days on one occasion...... the suggestion from waterfordcreek is a good one, I like the Elkmont area too..... I really think NC has the edge over TN on trout water but he is right Little River offers some great fishing up high...... think strongly about a park map it is $$ well invested.... The best to you....Bob

Red Owl

Reaction score
Thanks. Will get some good maps. On the Elkmont- I read a little on that and I thought you have to hike in about 3-4 miles up to Fish(something) Prong in order to reach good fishing.

waterfordcreek

Reaction score
Elkmont...hike in??

You can. Depending on the time of year..i fish it from the turnoff little river rd through the campground toward the trail head. I have heard many times you need to walk in a mile or so. Not really needed...

waterfordcreek

Reaction score
Its a shame, with no Troutfest this year....It was getting pretty dated. Have to give it up to the volunteers. A major amount of work and dedication.

May, June and July i spend on the slower side of the park.