Central Florida?

half fast

Reaction score
Anyone on the forum fly fishing in Polk County, FL? I'm just getting back into fly fishing after a long hiatus, and I'm looking for some spots that offer decent shore or wade fishing. Lake levels are VERY low right now; we're way behind on rain.

Any suggestions, posted or via PM, will be very welcome.

waterfordcreek

Reaction score
Hi Half,

I used to live in Lakeland and found that even most retention ponds hold nice sized bass.

Saltwater. Love Fort Desoto on a moving tide.

The flats at the mouth of the Anclote river will hold a mixed bag...Wade the flats to the north.

Green key in pasco is also great access...again, at the key...work the flats to the north.

Now that i think about it. The mouth of anclote...at the power plant should be spot on this time of year. Even if the snook, reds and trout are being finicky...there are always plenty of ladyfish.

Another option is the rocky point area of Tampa off SR60...plus, happy hour at Bahama Breeze is pretty good.

Gulf beaches in summer....be there at first light, before the beachcombers..love Clearwater beach for this...easy access...snook in the surf.

Jim

half fast

Reaction score
Thanks. I haven't tried saltwater yet, but I probably will sometime in the near future. The Gulf spots sound good. Maybe over the summer I can give it a go.

I've tried for bass in a few of the local ponds, but with limited success so far. The water levels are so far down right now that much of the aquatic growth is gone. We desperately need some rain.

Red Owl

Reaction score
You are really limiting yourself in with the shore fishing. Bait and catfish- that's shore fishing. If at all possible get yourself a used canoe and a kayak paddle or electric trolling motor so you can get into the better places. If you don't want the canoe then I would seriously think about salt water fly fishing. Tampa isn't too far away.
There used to be some phoshate pits in your area but if the banks are covered with brush- they would be out.

half fast

Reaction score
In fact, there's a phosphate pit across the road from my house, but the banks are much too steep for access. I've fished Saddle Creek a few times, but haven't done much good there.

Fished a pond near Lake Wales last week and had a good time catching bluegill and small bass. I'll be heading back there soon.

I'm not really interested in a canoe or kayak. I might pick up a small jon boat and an outboard, though. I'd like something I could use during hunting season for rails and to get to some good snipe areas.

I'll probably try saltwater at Tampa sooner or later. Just have to find a day that I can break away. Any good suggestions on spots to try over there? What's the best way to start out for someone new to saltwater flyfishing?

Red Owl

Reaction score
On the salt water- just get out there and start doing it. For trout and red fish you can use your regular stuff in most instances- just wash it REAL GOOD to get off all the salt.
On the john boat- in fishing bigger is better IMHO. A kayak is okay but it shines mostly for situatons where that's all you can use. If you can use a john boat and motor- I think most times that's better- more interior room for all your stuff.
I tried snipe down at Webb last year but only saw four, shot at two and missed both. PM me if you find any good snipe areas here in central FL. :cool: