Pensacola and/or Ft. Meyers area(s)

brookfieldangler

Reaction score
Sanibel island December 27-29

Thinking about heading down for a few days between Xmas and New Years to do some fishing. No disney crapola...just fishing.

First question is if anyone feels like playing guide for a day or three.

Second question, if not, is if the fishing is any good. Any hotspots, species, etc...info? Feel free to PM me!

Also, I am looking only for saltwater. I have tons of great freshwater stuff around me...I need something different!

Last edited:

dakotakid

Reaction score
Haven't fished in your target areas, but have some experience fishing the St. Pete area that time of year. Based on my experience the end of Dec. through January can be the most difficult time to catch fish on the Gulf side due to seasonally low water temperatures. The sport fish apparently move either off shore or further South until the water warms up again. So my recommendation is to go to Ft. Meyers since the water should be warmer and therefore provide better fishing.

cpowell

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Dude! I wish I could make it....and maybe I can.

South out of Ft Myers to Chokoloskee. 10,000 islands. Kayak heaven.

If you want to stay farther north go in off of Marco Island.

brookfieldangler

Reaction score
Thanks for the responses guys. The title was a bit of a typo on my part....I meant to say Ft. Wayne. Chalk that one up to sleeping in my geography class. :D

With that being said, Marco Island is only another hour past there.....

brookfieldangler

Reaction score
Bump! Trip is 100% go. Will be fishing sanibel island from kayaks and wading.

Any must have flies? Sizes? Colors? Spots? Anyone want to meet up?

cpowell

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I am so jealous I could vomit.

I keep hitting road blocks on booking. Looks like maybe Jan 6 through the 15th for us. We are waiting on a work meeting to pan itself out then we can book. I want out of this deep freeze.

We will base out of Ft Myers then head south from there. When I go in addition to my fly gear I carry a spin rod with salt water raps and buck tail jigs for stopping along the road and chucking into the ocean or canals. I have hung some cool fish with crankin gear when casting or rigging all the gear was not a best bet.

I fish all kinds of dahlberg divers and shrimp and crab flies. Just like in a lot of high country fishing situations if the presentation is good they will hit a multitude of bugs but I still consider myself a salt green horn.

brookfieldangler

Reaction score
God I hate being in limbo due to meetings. I was in the same boat until mid afternoon yesterday when the client I was waiting for decided to cancel their event. Bingo! It's time to go fishing!

I've started whipping up some shminnows and will actually be stopping by Norm's shop the morning of the 27th. He said he'd point in me in the right direction for a variety of species like snook, jacks, reds, and even some frisky ladyfish (hello 4wt fun) so that should help. I'll definitely be picking up a few local ties down there as well. I've got tons of merkins, borksi shrimp, and clousers already so I can't imagine I'll need much aside from some smaller deceivers.

the weather is looking good (non frontal and low to mid 70s) with OK winds...7 to 20mph. I've fished for musky in the same winds so I think casting flies less than half the size will be no sweat.

If something happens and you can make it, shoot me a PM. Like I said, we will have a house in Sanibel so there will be plenty of room.