Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  7
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Lost Cove Creek, North Carolina

Default Lost Cove Creek, North Carolina

Has anyone fished Lost Cove Creek, NC? Five of us are going camping and fishing in two weeks and was wondering what flies to bring. Thanks for your help.

2. Default Re: Lost Cove Creek, North Carolina

I have never fished there, but the link below is a site that has always given me good advice for fly patterns that work, especially on streams I am not familiar with. Take a look and hope this helps.

Fly Fishing Lost Cove Creek North Carolina

Default Re: Lost Cove Creek, North Carolina

Fly pattern doesn't matter too much on that stream, but make sure you have heavy nymphs that can get down under boulders. I find a good combination is a heavy buggy pattern with a small midge nymph trailer.

Sometimes they do get picky for March Browns this time of year, so carry a couple of those in size 10-14.

Also, check your PMs

---------- Post added at 07:07 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:03 AM ----------

Some tips specific to LCC:

Look for actively feeding browns in the tails of the pools. There are lots of big flat shallow pools on that stream, and the big boys will be in the tails of them, not up in the heads of the pools. You won't see too many rises, but dries will work to pick up the browns. When you come up to a nice pool, spend a couple minutes just watching, looking for actively feeding fish. You'll usually only get one shot (at most!) at them per hole. I can't stress this point enough. Most people go straight to the head of the pool, and never even see these fish, but I guarantee you there's a nice brown in every big pool on that stream.

Anywhere the stream pushes up against a big boulder, it'll create an undercut under that boulder. Those will be your most productive places for the rainbows. They hang out in packs, so if you pick up one, keep working that boulder.

4. Likes yonder, mcnerney, littledavid123 liked this post

Thanks guys.

Got a trip report for us?

7. Likes mcnerney liked this post

Here is a small report,
    I did ok, one 8" rainbow first day and 9" brown on the 2nd day. One guy got 14 and the other got 18 total. Biggest fish was a 11" brown, these guys r use to small streams. Dries and nymphs were both good. I caught the rainbow on a UV frenchie and the brown was caught on a light Cahill dry. The best part there was nobody around. I was to fast at times, the fish r spooky easily.

9. Likes mcnerney, diamond rush liked this post

Not bad. Those trout are very tough to catch up there. An 11" brown (heck, even a 9" brown) is a very respectable fish up there. That trail is absolutely gorgeous and I hope you had a good time camping as well. If my SO wasn't dragging me to 3 weddings in the next 6 weeks, I'd be up there soon myself. Oh well, at least wedding number 2 is at a resort on the Natahala.

Quote Originally Posted by diamond rush View Post
    Not bad. Those trout are very tough to catch up there. An 11" brown (heck, even a 9" brown) is a very respectable fish up there. That trail is absolutely gorgeous and I hope you had a good time camping as well. If my SO wasn't dragging me to 3 weddings in the next 6 weeks, I'd be up there soon myself. Oh well, at least wedding number 2 is at a resort on the Natahala.
    I think I would hide the rod(s) in the trunk, and then "get lost" during the reception.

Quote Originally Posted by jimp View Post
    I think I would hide the rod(s) in the trunk, and then "get lost" during the reception.
    My SO is in the wedding, so I'm already planning on ditching the day of the rehearsal and the morning before the wedding. She said I can't take the groom with me, though.

13. Likes littledavid123 liked this post