Currituck Sound and NC Coast - beginner

shotgunfly

Reaction score
Okay heading to NC and spending a few days near Corolla which gives me quick access to Currituck Sound and the coast.

Rods?
I have a Buelah Bluewater 8/9 wt with a Cheeky MOJO 7/8/9 reel. Am going to put an 8wt line on it. Should that be a sink tip or floating line.

I also have a 7wt, should I put a sink tip or floating line on it.
Should I even bring the 7wt?

Fies?
I plan to take a bunch of various colored clouser minnows.
Any other flies to consider, (deceivers? Half and halfs?)?

It's been years since I've been down there and never really spent much time fishing let alone on the sound.

Is the sound wadable?

What can I expect to catch in the sound?

Does saltwater fly size mirror freshwater in that the bigger flies net bigger fish?

I see clousers tied on saltwater hooks. Can I tie and use closers tied on freshwater hooks?

Other stuff

I can rent a kayak I think. Would that be a better use of time vs wading or shore fishing?

With the setups I mentioned above, should I even try and fish the coast from shore?

What are the best time of day to fish? The worst?

Do I need a stripping basket?

Any other advice/tips would be much much appreciated!

danmarino

Reaction score
I have a place in Southern Shores in the OBX. I have a kayak down there and will begin doing some fly fishing in the canals on the sound side and also in the Currituck Sound and any ponds I can fish. I know there are largemouth bass and gar in the canals. I've caught largemouth bass in ponds. I've seen people catch sunfish/bluegills in the sound up by the Corolla Lighthouse. Down by Duck, I've caught small black drum and redfish in the sound, all shallow near shore. I'll be kayak fishing. Will see what I can learn and accomplish over the years. Just begining to try this fly fishing thing down there when visiting on vacation trips.