Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: Orlando Area

1. Default Orlando Area

Hey all,

I have a trip to the Orlando area and ism hoping for some insight on some fly fishing. Whether it be a guide or just some local knowledge of where to go that's fine. Not really worried about it being salt or freshwater, just want to catch some fish on the fly in Florida. I'm even just fine with finding a canal to fish in! Just don't know where or what flies! Thanks for the the help!!

Nick

Default Re: Orlando Area

For feshwater, pretty much any retention pond or canal will hold fish. You'll have little problem finding bluegill, bass and tilapia. Watch where you put your feet and keep an eye out for wildlife.

I fish mostly small poppers on my 3 weight. You also can't go wrong with bent backs or clousers.

Saltwater is a bit further away but offers a lot for sure. I've not done any East Coast salt so if it were me, I'd go with a guide.

Be sure to get a license if fishing the freshwater or the salt in a boat (unless you get a guide). I've been bothered by FWC too many times. Good Luck.
    -Josh

4. Default Re: Orlando Area

I'm thinking saltwater will be a little more work avoiding crowds and finding fish, not to mention the drive. So it's looking like freshwater is my best bet.

Any other flies besides poppers? I am assuming the obvious... Clouser, deceivers, etc.?

I plan on getting a license! Ha, I don't have any desire to get in trouble with anyone, and I don't have a license from Florida to go in my collection.

Quote Originally Posted by tedp View Post
    Watch where you put your feet and keep an eye out for wildlife.
    This.

Obviously you should keep an eye out for alligators but more so you need to avoid the fire ants!! Those little sandy looking mounds that are everywhere are red ant colonies and they will destroy you! I learned that the hard way the first time I went fishing down there.
    Less likey, more green dots
    BrookFieldAngler.com

6. Likes jgentile liked this post

If you are staying at the "Mouse" you can get a guide to fish the lakes around Epcot, Board Walk and MGM. These lakes have healthy populations of nice LMB. They use pontoon boats, which are perfect casting platforms. The "Mouse" frowns on anyone fishing from shore in the parks.

There is good water located at Wilderness Lodge that you can access as well by foot.

There are a ton of good/great trophy LMB water located nearby but one probably needs a guide for the larger lakes. As previously mentioned all the drainage canals hold fish.

Personally, me being the deviant vacation planner that I am would book a guide to fish Mosquito Lagoon on the east coast under the guise of an "eco-tour" for a shot at reds, trout and whatever else will take a fly. "Honey... you have your camera, I just had to bring a fly rod along."

Quote Originally Posted by brookfieldangler View Post
    This.

Obviously you should keep an eye out for alligators but more so you need to avoid the fire ants!! Those little sandy looking mounds that are everywhere are red ant colonies and they will destroy you! I learned that the hard way the first time I went fishing down there.

Yes! I am stupid and I fish in flip flops. Those things hurt.

As mentioned if you are staying at Disney World, the Wilderness Lodge has some decent waterfront. It's usually pretty busy though. You can also check out Fort Wilderness Campground. There is a lot of canal walking you can do there. I've been considering a research trip to the campground, I just haven't gotten around to it yet.