Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  6
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Ashville NC advice for weekend of March 18th?

My wife and I are headed to ashville for a long weekend get away and I've managed to talk her into fly fishing with me for half a day (will be her second fly fishing experience). So, I'm looking for a decent spot that will provide good scenery, room to cast, and an opportunity for a newbie to catch a fish or two. I'd appreciate hearing any suggestions anyone has.

Based on maps and some online info, I've been eyeing South Mills river or some of the tiny streams northeast of ashville - Curtis creek or Buck Creek area in Pigsha. Let me know if anyone has thoughts or advice. Feel free to private message me. Thanks!

Default Re: Ashville NC advice for weekend of March 18th?

One piece of advice when in the Pisgah. If using the trails, be aware of the mountain bikers, specifically if fishing the South Mills. Been there, done that.
    Mainline the blueline

3. Default Re: Ashville NC advice for weekend of March 18th?

South Mills. Mmmmm. Drool.

sent PM, it was good... exceptional you might say!

Instagram page @tblom77

Both the North Mills River and Curtis Creek are good choices. I live in Asheville and my choice would be Curtis Creek. I prefer Curtis Creek because it is more of a fishing destination, whereas N. Mills sees a lot of families having picnics, mountain bike riders,and horseback riders. The Delayed Harvest section of Curtis Creek is easily accessible from the road and only draws fishers. They are both pretty scenic, but Curtis Creek is closer to the road, though noise from passing cars is mitigated by all the forest, so I don't really hear them. Obviously, if you can fish on a week day N. Mills will have fewer distractions than fishing on the weekend. If you are in Asheville, you will want to go to Hunter Banks for the latest information. They are located on the edge of Asheville's downtown. And I am sure that a large part of the reason you are coming here is so you can enjoy the downtown.
    Another side note about Curtis Creek... when the US Forest Service was given a budget and permission to buy land, Curtis Creek was the first piece of land acquired. The Mills River area was once part of the vast property holdings of the Biltmore Estate. George Vanderbilt's land included all of what is now Pisgah National Forest, extending from the Blue Ridge Parkway to beyond Brevard!
    I am not a guide, but if I can help with any questions, let me know.
    Last edited by brook rookie; 03-12-2017 at 08:49 AM. Reason: added a sentence

Quote Originally Posted by brook rookie View Post
    Both the North Mills River and Curtis Creek are good choices. I live in Asheville and my choice would be Curtis Creek. I prefer Curtis Creek because it is more of a fishing destination, whereas N. Mills sees a lot of families having picnics, mountain bike riders,and horseback riders. The Delayed Harvest section of Curtis Creek is easily accessible from the road and only draws fishers. They are both pretty scenic, but Curtis Creek is closer to the road, though noise from passing cars is mitigated by all the forest, so I don't really hear them. Obviously, if you can fish on a week day N. Mills will have fewer distractions than fishing on the weekend. If you are in Asheville, you will want to go to Hunter Banks for the latest information. They are located on the edge of Asheville's downtown. And I am sure that a large part of the reason you are coming here is so you can enjoy the downtown.
    Another side note about Curtis Creek... when the US Forest Service was given a budget and permission to buy land, Curtis Creek was the first piece of land acquired. The Mills River area was once part of the vast property holdings of the Biltmore Estate. George Vanderbilt's land included all of what is now Pisgah National Forest, extending from the Blue Ridge Parkway to beyond Brevard!
    I am not a guide, but if I can help with any questions, let me know.
    Brook,

Has the forest service road along side Curtis Creek been re-opened all the way up to the Blueridge Pkwy? I think it was a few years ago it was washed out and closed. Coming up out of Old Fort, it's one of the quicker ways to the Blueridge Pkwy.

Thanks!
    Mainline the blueline

Thanks for the advice, everyone. Much appreciated! I will post a report when I get back without divulging any details/secrets.

8. Likes tbblom liked this post

A good alternative to the North Mills River is the Little River in Dupont State Forest. The drought has hurt many streams in WNC and Little River has very fishable flows even now.

Good luck!
    Colt

Quote Originally Posted by marty mcfly View Post
    My wife and I are headed to ashville for a long weekend get away and I've managed to talk her into fly fishing with me for half a day (will be her second fly fishing experience). So, I'm looking for a decent spot that will provide good scenery, room to cast, and an opportunity for a newbie to catch a fish or two. I'd appreciate hearing any suggestions anyone has.

Based on maps and some online info, I've been eyeing South Mills river or some of the tiny streams northeast of ashville - Curtis creek or Buck Creek area in Pigsha. Let me know if anyone has thoughts or advice. Feel free to private message me. Thanks!
    Please post after your trip and let us know where you went and how it was. I am looking for somewhere not too far from South Florida for a quick two- or three-day trip.

The trout fishing in the Ashville can be good and very senic but the Smallmouth fishing can be great. I'd check with local shops to see which is hotter in that time of year
    The fisherman now is one who defies society, who rips lips, who drains the pool, who takes no prisoners, who is not to be confused with the sissy with the creel and bamboo rod. Granted, he releases what he catches, but in some cases, he strips the quarry of its perilous soul before tossing it back in the water. What was once a trout – cold, hard, spotted and beautiful – becomes “number seven.”
    Tom McGuane

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast