Newbie Seeks Teacher in North GA

kap

Reaction score
Mature female seriously interested in learning to fly fish. Looking for someone willing to teach me in North Ga. I live in Marietta and pack a mean lunch, ha!

spm

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum, kap.
Can't help you with your instruction, as I am several states away, but I'm sure someone will be along that can help you. In lieu of that, Fly Box Outfitters, in Kennesaw offer instructions.

Best of luck and welcome to the sport.
steve

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Kap
Welcome to the forum and the great sport of fly fishing!
I can't provide much help either as I live in Pinedale, WY but hopefully someone in your area will chime in.
You will find a ton of fly fishing information on this site, spend some time browsing and using the search function, but don't hesitate to ask questions, we were all newbies once.

Note: When clicking on "Search", in the new pop up window, click on "Advanced Search", you will find that you get much better results.

Edit: You might also send an email to Steve Lamb, his friends call him Lambster, he is a guide in Georgia that teaches classes on fly fishing at KSU and GFG, not sure if that is close or not. You can contact him through his web site georgiaflyguide.com if he is close by.

kevind62

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum.

If you don't mind the drive, there's an Orvis store north of you a couple hours in Sylva, NC. There's good fishing there on the Tuckasegee River at Dillsboro. You can sign up for lessons at the store. The river there is wide and easy to fish. Once you get the hang of roll casting, head 15 minutes north to Cherokee. Fish the catch & release area of Raven's Fork upstream of the school. Parts of the river there get tight above the school and below the campground. Lots of nice rainbows, browns, and brookies there. Right now while the weather is nice and the water is cooler the fishing should be pretty good at Dillsboro for lessons.

atlflyguy

Reaction score
Hey Kap,
I'm new to the forum myself but saw your location, I'm just down the road from you in Smyrna! There is a place called Unicoi Outfitters in Helen, Georgia. They do guided trips/lessons and the store is awesome as well. If you're looking for some good local places to go and practice there plenty of spots along the DH portion of the hooch. I was just out there yesterday myself.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

silver creek

Reaction score
Mature female seriously interested in learning to fly fish. Looking for someone willing to teach me in North Ga. I live in Marietta and pack a mean lunch, ha!
I live in Wisconsin and I can teach you. Pretty soon it will be ice fishing season and those ice holes make mighty fine fly casting targets! [poke]:welcomean

pnc

Reaction score
Welcome to site ! Had road atlas out before it dawned on me I have tinted widows. They don't like my windows in Georgia. Ever get to Florida ?

....... pc

smp005

Reaction score
Hey Kap,
I'm new to the forum myself but saw your location, I'm just down the road from you in Smyrna! There is a place called Unicoi Outfitters in Helen, Georgia. They do guided trips/lessons and the store is awesome as well. If you're looking for some good local places to go and practice there plenty of spots along the DH portion of the hooch. I was just out there yesterday myself.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
I second Unicoi and Helen, Georgia! If I remember correctly, its something like an 1.5 hr or so drive from the Atlanta airport...

Great shop, great guides and they have private waters which are perfect for instruction!

Unicoi Outfitters | North Georgia's Premier Fly Shop & Guide Service

mnigro

Reaction score
You’re getting lots of advice to travel hours outside your neighborhood so I’ll offer something different.

1st, the delayed harvest on the Chattahoochee is right in your backyard and would be a great opportunity to cut your teeth.

2nd, there is an Orvis store in Alpharetta and Buckhead. Both should offer free lessons on a monthly basis.

3rd, register on North GA Trout Online, NGTO, and post there too. They have a section for women FF’ers if that add a level of comfort for you.

Finally, I’d be happy to fish with you and teach you what I can... been fly fishing for the better part of two decades. I’m also happily married so no alterior motives here.

Good luck with the sport.
Mike

pjciii

Reaction score
Hi Kap
i would like to suggest Ken Loeko up in cumming. a very knowledgeable and very patient. my wife and i took his class several years ago.
Fly Fishing School... and North GA Guided Trips

also i would 3rd Jimmy Harris at unicoi outfitters. they offer classes almost year round. hopefully you have already found somebody, but those would be my 2 cents.
also join your local TU. there is a chapter close to you..
patrick

Farmdogs

Reaction score
North Georgia. Blue Ridge. As good as it gets. My girl friend is an avid fly fisher/tyer and shes also quite good at explaining everything trout. If you are ever up in our neck of the hollow, drop a line. We fish often and always have beer.

Sent from my XT1609 using Tapatalk

dtroutmann

Reaction score
There's an Orvis store in Alpharetta one in Buckhead and one in Unicoi the one in Alpharetta and Buckhead hold a fly fishing 101 course for free every year comes with a bunch of coupons to get stuff from their store it's a great course I took it 6 years ago myself it helped a lot and I met a few people that I could go fishing with also the Chattahoochee River has a ton of great fly fishing and a ton of people that would love to help you also check out NGTO aka " North Georgia trout online" their bit more local and you can contact a bunch of different people to fish with is how I met most of the guys I fish with now hope this helps private message me if you have any more questions I'm happy to help it's always nice to meet someone who wants to learn the sport

mtnjefro

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum.

If you don't mind the drive, there's an Orvis store north of you a couple hours in Sylva, NC. There's good fishing there on the Tuckasegee River at Dillsboro. You can sign up for lessons at the store. The river there is wide and easy to fish. Once you get the hang of roll casting, head 15 minutes north to Cherokee. Fish the catch & release area of Raven's Fork upstream of the school. Parts of the river there get tight above the school and below the campground. Lots of nice rainbows, browns, and brookies there. Right now while the weather is nice and the water is cooler the fishing should be pretty good at Dillsboro for lessons.

That Orvis store closed. There is an Orvis store here in Asheville but I am guessing they have one closer to you. I took a Fly fishing 101 and 102 and a fly tying class as well. If you are ever in the area I would be happy to go fishing with you. I am sure we could teach each other a few tricks!

kevind62

Reaction score
When did they close? I saw a recent review on trip advisor for them from this past July.

That Orvis store closed. There is an Orvis store here in Asheville but I am guessing they have one closer to you. I took a Fly fishing 101 and 102 and a fly tying class as well. If you are ever in the area I would be happy to go fishing with you. I am sure we could teach each other a few tricks!