St. Petersburg - Feb 12 - 14

peaks2creeks

Reaction score
Hey all you salty water folks -

I am going to be going to St. Petersburg Feb 12 - 14 for a work trip. I should have afternoon/evening free and I would LOVE to see if I could get into some fish. I have NEVER fished the salt, as I am a land-locked fresh water guy.

- I have a 6wght rod with a ross evolution LT reel, probably not the best to bring, right? I did some googling and found some fly shops in the area and will see about rentals or what my options are. I am thinking I will just want to wade fish as I won't have the time to actually hire a guide or get on a boat, plus I want to explore a bit near where I am staying. I will be able to UBER a ride if necessary but would be very interested to know if I am staying anywhere close enough to walk to a spot to chuck some line. I will be staying Hilton St. Petersburg Bayfront - 333 1st St S, Saint Petersburg.

Anyone in the area around this time? And/or anyone that has some local knowledge, I would very much appreciate any help you can give to me. Or, even if you would be willing to meet up one evening and show me some of the goods, that would be awesome!

Cheers!

plecain

Reaction score
Within walking distance of you there's a park and beach along North Shore Drive NE, just north of the Vinoy.
You can wade a long way from that beach. It's a good place for speckled trout, lady fish, and some Spanish mackerel.

I suggest Google Earth. Search for "Flora Wylie Park, North Shore Drive Northeast, Saint Petersburg, FL".

In that view, the sandy parts and the dark green parts of the bay are wadable. You can see the deep water parts just off the beach. The best fishing is north of the little stone pier by the tennis courts.

Last edited:

peaks2creeks

Reaction score
Awesome, I will for sure do some research on the area, thanks for the help!

Would my 6wght rod & reel be OK? Just wash out the reel when done? I have a sink tip on it and would try and hit up a fly shop while down there to get some flies...

Thanks!

plecain

Reaction score
The 6 wt will be fine for just about anything at that time of year. I use a 6 wt often.
I'd get my flies ahead of time. Saves time.
Wash off everything with fresh water - rod, reel, anything with a metal zipper, a fly box that has any metal parts, even the hooks on your flies. Salt water will kill just about anything.
Good luck.
There's a chance I'll be in St Petersburg around then. I'll let you know.

peaks2creeks

Reaction score
thanks! Do you recommend any of the local fly shops, I googled and saw there are a couple in the area. I will contact and order my supplies and have it shipped to my Hotel for when I arrive, then I can just hit the water upon arrival.