St Augustine Area info?

mnigro

Reaction score
I’m headed to St Augustine for the first week of April. If anyone can point me in the direction for any saltwater wading info I would greatly appreciate the help.

Thanks!
Mike

philip43

Reaction score
Hey Mike, I was hoping that someone would reply to you. My wife and I plan to stay in that area Feb. and March of 2019. Adios Philip

ejsell

Reaction score
Haven't fished there but visited 3 times in the last 2 years. Really enjoy the area and we make it a half day stop on our way to my brother's place. Looks like plenty of areas to wade, including some inlets. I think I saw a fly shop last year when we drove through, I just can't remember where.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Just had time to look it up. Oyster Creek Outfitters on US1 S Ponce De Leon Blvd just south of the historic district and also Avid Angler on US 1/North Ponce De Leon Blvd just north of the historic district.

And for the"2nd best pizza in the US" make sure you eat at Pizza Time. Pizza and giant calzones are awesome. Gelato for dessert. Cash only. In the historic area.

Last edited:

mnigro

Reaction score
Thanks for the help! Thought I’d report back with some info.

A boat can be rented from Devils Elbow for a very reasonable price. I used that to get back into some of the creeks where a few smaller redfish were caught by my crew. Without a trolling motor it was tough to get the boat back into the creeks without spooking everything in earshot so we used the incoming tide to drift inward. The reds would hold in the deeper holes (+4 ft) with lots of current.

Wading was iffy at best with lots of mud but I did find a couple sandy areas that were ok. No fish there but still fun. The beach was freezing and the bulls/cobia/jacks weren’t there so I didn’t spend any time casting in the surf. The wind howled a few days too - not ideal battling waves & wind.

There was one flood tide but I didn’t see any tailing fish. Bummer.

Overall, we had a good time fishing the area.