Asheville area research help

bdavis32

Reaction score
The family and I (wife and 1 year old) are in the early stages of planning a get away to the Asheville NC area this coming fall-shooting for early Oct. We have never been to the area and I always find that the very beginning of the planning stage can be a bit overwhelming for a place we've never been. I'm hoping that's where you guys can chime in and point me in a few directions of things/places that I can research. Here is a broad overview of what we are planning, again this is the very early stages so nothing is set in stone by any means.

-We will be leaving KC on a Friday after work and stopping in St Louis for an overnight at the bro in laws. So w/ the remaining drive (approx 9hrs) and stopping for lunch and to stretch legs somewhere, we should arrive somewhere between 5-7pm depending on when we can leave in morning and how many stops for the kiddo we have to make.

-We will camp the first 3 nights and then looking to get a VRBO/Airbnb for 2 nights after that.

-I would really like to do dispersed camping as I'm not a fan of huge campgrounds. From the little research I've done on dispersed camping, it doesn't sound like there are a ton of options. Any ideas on where I can better research that or better yet, tell me exactly where that is able to be done/legal would be nice ;)

-I am not opposed to small, more primitive campgrounds. Just don't want to be in a 50 site complex w/ generators running all night. I don't need much, we aren't fancy.

-If there is access to fishing, that would be a bonus obviously!! Prefer small creeks/rivers. Lake/pond fishing would be ok but I don't have watercraft. I would be able to get up early and fish a little bit and got a hall pass for a few hours to get away by myself to go fish alone a few times. So I could drive a short ways if need be. Would love some pocket water action!

-Long shot question: is there anywhere that is public, very easy access, has a walking trail next to a fishing creek/river? If you've ever been to Buena Vista CO, like what they have on South Main and the Arkansas River. We were there this past fall and it worked out amazing. One person could fish while the other carried the baby in a carrier and we were no more than 15 ft from each other. So I could walk up and spot places for her to cast all while carrying the little one. That was my wifes favorite!

-Anybody stayed in a VRBO/Airbnb/super cool rentable place in the area that they would recommend? Looking to keep it under $200/night but that's flexible.

-What breweries are a must to visit? Eateries?

-Anything else in the area that we should do/see/visit? As my wife has said many times, "this is not purely a fishing trip". We do plan on taking a day, possibly an overnight, to GSMNP for some day hikes. Suggestions there are also welcome.

I appreciate any and all feedback.
Cheers!
Barrett

jayr

Reaction score
For camping check out the Great Smokies National Park (GSMNP) also the Pisgah National Forest(PNF).

For restaurants get the trip advisor app on your smart phone, laptop or tablet.

kevind62

Reaction score
What kind of vehicle will you be driving? Pickup with towing capacity? Try RVshare.com and Outdoorsy.com. Might want to see about renting a camper. They're really inexpensive and convenient if you are looking to camp and fish. And since you'll be in the Ashville area, may as well swing by The Biltmore if nothing else just to say you've been there. They have really good food in there and some pretty darn good wine. The history is kind of interesting too.

flyminded

Reaction score
Breweries - the list is endless around Asheville.

Plenty of good eats - Breakfast @ Over Easy, if you want great food and see a cross section on the locals.

After that it’s all a matter of budget and preferences.

Oh and be very prepared to see a “different” .kind of person walking around town ...it’s a very liberal eclectic crowd in those parts.

Cigarsnjeeps

Reaction score
Not sure on the fishing since I didn't fish up there when I lived in Charlotte. But as for tourist stuff:

1. Biltmore Estate - Cool place and alot of interesting history.
2. Chimney Rock
3. Lake Lure- Take your wife for a night at Lake Lure Inn where Dirty Dancing was filmed.
4. Bunch of Apple Orchards up there where you can go pick fresh apples in the fall.
5. If the Smokey mountains aren't too Smokey while you are there (not too foggy) the Blueridge Parkway is a beautiful drive.

@cigarsnjeeps

denver1911

Reaction score
For a combo fishing and sight seeing, check out the Cataloochee river valley in the Smokies. Your wife is likely to love it and you can wet a line too.

bdavis32

Reaction score
Thanks for all the great suggestions so far. This is why this site is so great! You're all so helpful!

Jayr: do you have any experience or knowledge of Big Creek Campground in GSMNP?

Kevind62: I love this idea. It probably won't work on this particular trip. But I'm very intrigued and have a couple guys trips coming up to the Driftless and North Platte area in WY that this would be amazing for so thanks for bringing to my attention!

Denver1911: looking that up here momentarily. Thanks!

The Biltmore is high on the list for our touristy escapade. As is driving the Parkway. Who knows, we may look for a good tattoo artist and nose piercer so we can blend in a little better ;)

Thanks for all the suggestions so far!
Cheers.
Barrett
Barrett

jayr

Reaction score
Yes I do.

Not near as big as most other campgrounds in the Smokies. I don't know if it is reservation or not, check and see.

samanich

Reaction score
New to fishing, but not new to NC. Definitely take the advice to go to the Smokies. It is a beautiful national park and completely free to enjoy. My buddy and I backpacked 75 miles through there for spring break a few years back. 7 nights and we didn't share a campsite with a single other person any of those nights (except for one at an AT shelter) so that might be just what you're looking for. Given, we were at small backcountry sites but I don't think any of the sites should be too crowded. Some of the hiking was pretty tough but that was mostly going from the base of the mountains all the way up to the AT in one day. As long as you're not doing that it should go smoothly.

The whole park is littered with creeks and falls that should be great for fishing. Almost all the campsites were next to a creek. Good for drinking water, good for fishing. Would you be coming to the park from the west side?

I haven't personally been to the Big Creek campsite, but a friend of mine has hiked the Big Creek trail. He said it is a really good 1 or 2 night hike all along the water with some fun large boulders to jump off of into the creek to cool off (don't know if that's your style).

If you do decide that you want to go to the Smokies and need some help planning your hikes and campgrounds, give the park office a call. The park rangers are so friendly and helpful and know the park better than anyone else. They stayed on the phone with me for an hour and helped me plan my route.

Once you've been in the mountains for 3 days, you'll want a beer so go check out one of Asheville's breweries. You won't struggle to find good food and good beer there.

kevind62

Reaction score
Just type in the nearest major city you'll be traveling to in the search function on the respective websites and it will list everything available. You can narrow it down with filters too for type of RV you are looking for. Check closely what each has to offer. Especially generator use, cleaning and service fees, and dumping fees. Some renters only want you to use the generator for charging the batteries for a couple of hours per day so any overage is charged pretty steep. They pretty much expect you to go completely primitive or to be hooked up to services in an RV park. This isn't practical if you have several people who'll be using water, sewer, etc. This is ESPECIALLY important to consider when traveling with the high maintenance sub-group of our species (females). :D

In the future, whether it's a family trip or a "guys" trip, Options are abound. We rented a 32' Class C last spring for 4 of us. 5 days rental including groceries, cleaning fees, and fuel was just under $400 each. Good luck planning a 5 day DYI fishing trip with all the comforts of home for that price with motels, food, etc.

Rented a 26' bumper pull camper for a trip with just me and the spousal unit just recently or 5 days for right at $300.

Not a lot of difference in price for larger campers and Class C motorhomes. One advantage is no extra miles charges on campers. All motorhomes have daily mileage limits. 100 miles per day for the most part. Some do come with up to 200 per day. And again, overage charges vary from 25 cents per mile to over $1 per mile. And the disadvantage of campers is not all come with generators. All of your motorhomes do.

Again, check all the amenities when searching. Off season rentals are always cheaper too. Another important thing is to check the weather forecast where you'll be drive/towing. This is especially important out west with the wind. Some areas will close the roads to high profile light vehicles, which includes RV's and campers, during less than desirable weather conditions. And pay attention during early spring and late fall road conditions. Some areas will leave roads open but state that winter maintenance is limited (plowing and salting) which could render you trapped in your fishing grounds for additional days (which, if you're retired or self employed might not be a bad thing. Text message: Honey, we were supposed to start heading home tomorrow, but we got snowed in and they said it could be 3 to 4 days before they get the roads plowed. Not to worry. We have plenty of firewood, Ritz Crackers, potted meat, and various beverages so we won't freeze to death or starve. See you soon. Love you and miss you. :) ).

Overall, every time I've done it, it has been an enjoyable experience and I have had great luck with renters being kind, courteous, and helpful. The ability to park your accommodations a few yards from your fishing spot definitely has it's perks too.

Thanks for all the great suggestions so far. This is why this site is so great! You're all so helpful!

Kevind62: I love this idea. It probably won't work on this particular trip. But I'm very intrigued and have a couple guys trips coming up to the Driftless and North Platte area in WY that this would be amazing for so thanks for bringing to my attention!

Thanks for all the suggestions so far!
Cheers.
Barrett
Barrett

Last edited:

mtnjefro

Reaction score
As an Asheville resident there is so much to do here it can be overwhelming. The good news is everything is kid friendly. I know you said you don't like campgrounds but Davidson river campground in Brevard is a smaller campsite, great fishing, and only a 1/2 hour from downtown Asheville.

Breweries:
Sierra Nevada
New Belguim
Oskar Blues
Wicked Weed
Catawba

Food:
Over Easy Café ( recommended earlier in the thread is my fav breakfast place here)
Buxton Hall BBQ
Sunny Point Café
Bonfire BBQ

I agree when you are here GSMNP is only an hour ten from Asheville and well worth the drive.

If you have any questions feel free to DM me I have lived here in West Asheville for 9 years.

c web

Reaction score
Just my opinion but too many people in that area for the type getaway your interested in. Some great nightlife, breweries, music and sightseeing but dispersed camping on a decent stream...not so much, at least that I know about. Good news is your within an hour and a half of some fantastic water.

Are you looking for put and take general water, delayed harvest or wild?

flyminded

Reaction score
Well if we are talking BBQ ...then 12 Bones in Asheville has to be on the list ...and if you are even close to Waynesville ...Haywood Smoke House, maybe the best I’ve had anywhere.

del gue

Reaction score
I was gonna recommend Round Bottom, but it has turned into a horses-only camping area.

Dunno if Balsam Mountain campground is open that time of year or not. Map shows two creeeks, one on each side. Bunches Creek and Flat Creek. Dunno what Bunches Creek is like by Balsam, but Bunches Creek over by Cherokee I've caught trout out of before. As campgrounds in N.C. go, Balsam is high and traditionally cool. Reckon it'd be cooler yet in October. Might be worth you looking into.

dwlemen

Reaction score
Hey all.. kind of lurking on this thread. I am also doing a family vacation in Ashville, but in June. Have a cabin in Hendersonville already reserved.

Definitely keep fishing spots coming. I really want to try for trout so any public spots near all that would be visited happily!

Peace,

-Dave

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

JDR

Reaction score
If you want some good, but not exhaustive information about trout fishing in Wester North Carolina, get the book: The Southern Appalachian Fly Guide by J.E.B. Hall. It lists a lot of good water by region with excellent details, a photograph, and usually accurate driving instructions. Hall is s guide with Davidson River Outfitters in Brevard (about an hour away from Asheville. The shop is located on the Davidson River and has a private water section. The Davidson River Campground in Pisgah National Forest is 1/4 mile away. The campground will not have dispersed camping, but it is close to a lot of good water and attractions. Millsl River is another area where you can camp and fish. It will be more secluded and dispersed than Davidson River. But to find where you want to fish, call DRO and order the book. (828) 877-4181) No affiliation with any commercial entity except as a customer.