Fly Fishing the Tamiami Trail and the Florida Everglades

Reaction score
I recently had a good enough excuse to finally fish the Tamiami Trail from Naples to Miami. I was able to bring along a few friends who are participants in the Project Healing Waters Fly Fishing Program . I needed to make a run from North Carolina to East Cape Skiffs in Orlando, and figured why not add a day to the trip and hit the Everglades. So we basically did NC to Orlando to the Everglades to Orlando to NC in 3 days, with 2,000 miles on the truck and not nearly enough sleep. It was flat out awesome, I'm itching to get back down there just typing this. What an amazing place!

I'm writing a 2 part blog about it if you get bored and want to check it out:

This first blog post is about the saltwater fishing we encountered, and the second part will be about the freshwater fishing we did.

I'm trying to be respectful of the locals and not pinpoint exact spots, but if I can help anyone in any way, just message me. I'm also glad to discuss what we learned about flies, techniques, etc.

thumbnail.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

kevind62

Reaction score
What I want to know is, did you break the rod or the line on the car you're hooked to in your back cast in the photo?? :D

Last edited:

mikechell

Reaction score
No real "secret" spots on the Tamiami. Just nice, fairly isolated areas that don't get the pressure associated with nearby large population centers.

Looking forward to the freshwater part of the story.

Reaction score
kevind62

The pic on this post is just the rod loaded on the haul. I think you're asking about the pic on the blog. That was my buddy. He hooked a tree on the other side and had to wait for the cars to pass under the line so he could run across and unhook it. ;)

Reaction score
No real "secret" spots on the Tamiami. Just nice, fairly isolated areas that don't get the pressure associated with nearby large population centers.

Looking forward to the freshwater part of the story.
Thanks! Yeah, I agree with you. I saw someone post some Tamiami/Everglades spots on another forum recently and a few people had some things to say, so I decided to keep it pretty general and more about the experience.

bluechipfish

Reaction score
Going to do this trip tomorrow. Funny I saw this post, I have to drive from Miami to Tampa and I'm going to fish along the way. Thinking about bringing some small deceivers with me, thing this is a good fly choice?