Finally Got in The Toccoa Tailwater

n4rod

Reaction score
After 2 weeks of rain, and a 24/7 water release schedule from the TVA's Blue Ridge dam, the water levels got low enough the TVA didn't release water this morning from 1 AM to 11 AM. I was able to wade fish for the first time in a long while. Got in the water around 9 AM. Not much of a hatch going on. I guess most of the insects were washed downstream by the continuous rapid water flow, day and night. When a small hatch started, the trout started taking them on the surface. I was using a new fly rod that just came in the mail yesterday. It's a Moonshine Rod Company Drifter model, 8 feet 6 inch, 4-piece, 4-weight fiberglass fly rod. I haven't used anything over 8 feet in 10 years, so it's a little longer than what I'm used to. I normally use a 7 foot 11 inch rod with a short, 7.5 foot tapered 6X leader. But all I had to put on was a 9.5 ft 5X tapered leader, and I added a couple feet of 6X tippet material. I missed several takes because I wasn't managing the leader/tippet well enough and had a lot of slack. I did get 5, 10 inch stocker trout to the net during 1.5 hours of fishing. I can cast this thing a country mile. Guess that's where the extra rod length comes in handy. And the rod did a really nice job during the fights, loading up and flexing a considerable amount. I was using a size 18 PMD and the trout really liked it. That's what was hatching. Looks like I have a very nice new rod that will work well where I live and fish. Only time will tell about it's longevity. They use anodized brass on all metal parts instead of nickel silver like on higher end rods. All though I release all the trout I catch, I think I have a keeper rod.

Rod

kevind62

Reaction score
Great report! I've been trying to get up to the Toccoa but have yet to do so. It's on my list for something this side of the Rockies. Hopefully soon!