Made some new friends

rc51sport

Reaction score
This weekend I had made some new friends. One was friendly one was not, both will be remembered.

Friday was a slow day of fishing for me. The water on this creek was very low and the sun was high and bright. The fish were hard enough to find and they could see me coming from a mile away. On a good day I can catch a couple dozen in this stretch and miss even more. This time just 1 brown and 3 brookies. I was hoping to find some of the bigger browns that were in there last month but had no luck. I'm happy just being out there, even on days I catch nothing.
The past couple of times on this creek, while hiking I will get this strange stinging/burning sensation on my hand that lasts a few minutes and goes away. Friday I finally discovered the culprit! I took this picture so I could go home and Google my new friend. Mr. Stinging Nettle, it's a love/hate relationship.

Day 2 my wife had the day off so we headed off to another creek hoping to find more water. When we got to the trailhead, we ran into an older man, in his late 70's. He was there hiking but took notice in our gear, he ran over immediately and began talking to us. He was a very nice man, a joy to talk to. I would have been willing to put down my pole and listen to his stories all day. As we hiked up the trail together he told me stories of fly fishing as a child and throughout his whole life. He knew of all the local creeks and gave to ideas of new places to try. I would show him pictures of different trout of my phone and he would accurately tell me which creek I caught them in. Different looking browns from different creeks within a few miles of each other, he knew. This guy definitely knows the area well! This man was hiking fast and almost seemed to be in a rush. I never got his name, really wish I did. I really hope I am able to find him out there again, I enjoy talking to him.
Once my wife and I finally got to where we were going, the water was there! Not as much as usual, but enough. The fishing was still slow but we had a good time. We were able to net 3 each. I'm happy my wife loves to fish, makes weekend plans much easier!

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Wow, those streams are gorgeous and thanks for sharing the great photos and fish!
You are very lucky to have a wife that also loves to fish. Mine likes fishing, but would rather ride her horses into the surrounding mountains.

rc51sport

Reaction score
Wow, those streams are gorgeous and thanks for sharing the great photos and fish!
You are very lucky to have a wife that also loves to fish. Mine likes fishing, but would rather ride her horses into the surrounding mountains.
Please dont mention horses around my wife, I might lose my fishing partner

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

c web

Reaction score
Awesome pics Dan! Glad to see you getting into some fish, especially with your wife. I almost just got back and can't wait to get back out. :D

rc51sport

Reaction score
Awesome pics Dan! Glad to see you getting into some fish, especially with your wife. I almost just got back and can't wait to get back out. :D
Yep, I'm ready to go back. Too bad work keeps getting in the way! Hoping to get a little rain out that way, that would be nice.

olsaltydog

Reaction score
Great looking streams, hope you get the chance to meet that other fellow again.