Anyone Fly fish Mt Airy

F100troutman

Reaction score
I'm new to the sport and don't know many good areas to trout fish in NC. I have been looking at the NC wildlife interactive map and there looks to be 2 rivers on either side of Mt Airy to trout fish. Any body ever been?

Akflyguy

Reaction score
I'm new to the sport and don't know many good areas to trout fish in NC. I have been looking at the NC wildlife interactive map and there looks to be 2 rivers on either side of Mt Airy to trout fish. Any body ever been?
Yup, it's a delayed harvest but it's easy to access and should fish decently well once they stock it again in Oct. Hope that helps!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

F100troutman

Reaction score
Yup, it's a delayed harvest but it's easy to access and should fish decently well once they stock it again in Oct. Hope that helps!

I was thinking of taking a trip sometime this month. Do you reckon it's been over fished by now?

Akflyguy

Reaction score
I was thinking of taking a trip sometime this month. Do you reckon it's been over fished by now?
Probably not worth it until they restock it, the bait fishermen wipe out most of them pretty quick and the hot water temps I'm sure have been really high lately.

F100troutman

Reaction score
Probably not worth it until they restock it, the bait fishermen wipe out most of them pretty quick and the hot water temps I'm sure have been really high lately.

Thanks for the info. I have just recently picked up fly fishing and haven't trout fished since I lived in PA 10 years ago. I am itching to get in the water and cant wait to throw some flies.

kevind62

Reaction score
Western NC fishes well year round if you stay close to the dams. Tuckasegee, French Broad (north fork), Ocanoluftee, . Cherokee fishes well also as the water there seems to stay cold year round due to elevation and shade. Cherokee also holds some really nice brookies in the C&R section on the reservation. Good bows and browns too. The C&R permit is a little pricey but worth it.

Western NC Part-2
Western North Carolina