Florida Keys from the beach in late november

libuck

Reaction score
hey all - I'm going to be spending a few days down on Islamorada the week after thanksgiving. i'm definitely planning to get out with a guide, but i'm also wondering if it is worth bringing a rod to just walk the beach with. i've never fished down there, but there is a bone fish tournament in early november, so i'm thinking there could be some fish in the shallows accessible by just wading out a bit?

does that make sense, or am i fooling myself?

what weight rod would you suggest for something like this?!

thanks in advance for any and all thoughts!

deceiverbob

Reaction score
It is possible, A friend once did well wade fishing at Bahia Honda State Park. He caught a bone and a couple of small tarpon. I would use at least an 8. Much of the shoreline in the Keys is mangrove or privately owned so that will limit your choice to some degree.

First Light

Reaction score
I am in the same situation except for March.
I posted the below in another thread, but maybe it will help someone viewing this thread.

I'm a little late to the game here, but for anyone going to the Marathon area to wade fish, there are not a lot of accessible areas on Marathon itself. However - a little to the North (actually East as the Keys run East to West) up the highway is the Long Key State Park (has an entrance fee and the entrance gate has operating hours, so Google it).

Oceanside on the Long Key State Park is a 2-3 mile walkable beach, so park at the South end (actually the West end), and walk back East. Long Key State Park is IMO one of the best wadeable bonefish flats in the Keys. You want to fish this flat at "First Light" and Last Light as that is when these fish are most active - there are also Permit on this flat out in a little deeper water.

This is also a big camping park, so fishing it during the day is not advised due to all of the campers, kids running back & forth in the shallow water, etc. But - the bonefish are still there, they just move out into a little deeper water during the day. The bottom here is firm and I have caught bf in water as shallow as 10".
--------------------
West of Marathon and down across the 7 Mile Bridge you will come to Bahia Honda State Park that also has wadeable areas, and again, it is best at First light before the campers get active, There are bonefish, permit, and tarpon to be had here once you learn the area.