Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  3

Default Any Fishing Suggestions Near Disney?

Hi All,

I'm taking my family to Disney for a vacation in April and was wondering if there was any fishing around there.

I have heard you can fish at Epcot, but I'm not sure how fun that would be. Any experience fishing Epcot or other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Bryan

Blog Entries

Default Re: Any Fishing Suggestions Near Disney?

I have fished out of Disney twice a number of years back. Both trips were guided. One was on Toho and the other was on a lake nearby. The one on Toho was in the spring but while we caught a few fish I wouldn't call it a raging success. The second had similar success but the only thing that made it a stand out trip was casting to a few larger uncooperative bass. You can fish in the park They have a guide service. We stayed in the Grand Floridian. I just walked the shore and cast around. I hooked a nice one but he pulled free. I was fishing with baitcasting rod and reel. While fishing from shore, keep an eye out for gaiters. A child got taken near where I had been fishing last year.

Bill

Follow up to my post. A few years back I took my 3 kids on the Disney bass fishing excursion. It was fun and I have nothing negative to say about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pretty much any roadside pond or golf course should be stuffed with largemouth!

A little late to the thread/question, but there are several good saltwater guides in the area who take their anglers to Florida's coast east of Orlando and fish in the shallow waters of the Indian River (saltwater), and Mosquito Lagoon areas - all within sight of the launch pads at Cape Canaveral. One good guide who fishes out of a small skiff or kayaks is John Kumiski 407-687-3631. <- not available in the summer tho as he guides on the Goodnews River in Alaska. And yes, he also fishes some of the freshwater rivers near Orlando.

My wife & I took our kids to Disney years ago and I wanted to fish too while there. That was around 1989 or'90. I asked a friend of mine, Norm Bartlett, who I knew had fished in Fl extensively, and he told me he had only spent time fishing the salt. So, he suggested that I call Lefty Kreh, who he was good friends with, and who he knew had fished all over FL, in both freshwater & salt.

I thought, yeah, right! I'm going to call Lefty Kreh. Well, Norm gave me Lefty's home phone number, and I called him. I told him what I had wanted to do & that Norm had given me his number. He said for fly fishing, the best place that he could recommend for freshwater fishing was the Withlacoochee & Rainbow River at Dunnellon Fl. So, that's where I went.

The two Rivers converge a short distance from town. It's about a 90 mile drive from Orlando to Dunnelon, and I was able to rent a boat there. Only spent one day fishing there on that trip but had a blast. I took a 6 wt. Caught several bass, some of the largest Bluegills that I had ever seen, and hooked one real nice bass right at the end of the day, within sight of the boat rental place. Saw several large Gar & other wildlife. That bass broke off before I could get it to the boat, but I';m guessing it was at least 5 lbs.

Since then, I've fished there one other time, but with spin tackle from the boat of another friend who now lives near there. Again, I drove there from Orlando. That river system is beautiful, spring fed, so the water is clear, and has some restrictions on it for boat speed, so doesn't get the bass boats on it like other FL waters.

That's a great place to spend time with fly tackle, but does need to be fished by a boat or other watercraft. There are some big Alligators in there too I've been told, but last time there we chatted with a fellow who was floating in a tube, along with some other folks in tubes. They were not fishing and told us many folks float tube or swim in that river. We saw a family of Otters in there also, they followed us as we fished. Saw a small Alligator as well, as it took off when it saw us.

I would gladly go back there again if I got the opportunity.
    Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!

8. Likes kentuckysteve, ramjet, Kata2012 liked this post

There is lots of good river fishing in Florida, including a shad run in the winter in some of the rivers in NE Florida, including east of the Orlando/Disney World area.

Thank you, everyone, for sharing. Unfortunately, I never got a chance to fish while we were there as the excitement of Disney has us visiting the parks from nearly open to close each day. However, when we go back in a year or two, I will be making a fishing trip part of the family itinerary.

bigjim5589 - That is an incredible story and a very memorable trip!

Florida has largemouth bass everywhere. Disney stocks their lakes and offers guided fishing within the resort that you can book directly with them. Don't know whether they offer fly fishing, though. Orlando Outfitters is a local fly shop that will book you a proper fly guide away from the resort. You can fish freshwater for LMB or they can take you to the coast for a taste of salt.