Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  6
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Default Re: Recommendations for equipment for the area?

Oh and by the way, if you have the chance and some extra money, you should seriously consider hiring Michael Bradley to guide you for a day. He's one of the top few competitive fishermen in the US, has traveled the world for international competitions, and he lives and guides right there in Cherokee. Your new fly rod should last you a lifetime, but so will the things you learn from Michael.

Default Re: Recommendations for equipment for the area?

Quote Originally Posted by jeffnc View Post
    If you continue to fly fish, you'll eventually own another rod or three for various conditions. Personally I think Euro nymphing is an absolute must, but not without using other techniques as well. I think 3 rods will cover just about all trout fishing situations.

- a 9' 5 wt all around standard for all sizes of fish, can cast dries, nymphs and streamers wherever you have room or need some reach
    - a 7 1/2' 4 wt or similar for tighter small stream situations without much casting room
    - a 10 1/2' 3 wt Euro nymph rod

With those 3, or close, I feel like I can do anything trout-wise.
    With my limited experience I agree whole heartedly.

So at this point I own a 8'6 5wt Clearwater 2019 outfit and I recently picked up a 7'9 4wt TFO Trout finesse with a battenkill Disc reel. For the waters I've been hitting up and the fish I'm catching the slower action 4wt has been awsome.

Before the fall or probably even next season I'll be looking at a 4wt or 3wt 10' rod for nymphing. I hardly ever really need to false cast and really tend to water pull my casts and highstick when using nymphs anyway so I think that's where I'll end up going.

But once the weather starts to turn ill probably be happier with a good set of waders than with the longer rod. Right now I'm heading up to the mountains to fish tomorrow and my jeep reads 101⁰. I dont mind being in the water now but when it's cold I'll change my tune.

3. Default Re: Recommendations for equipment for the area?

Quote Originally Posted by Jaysop View Post
    Before the fall or probably even next season I'll be looking at a 4wt or 3wt 10' rod for nymphing. I hardly ever really need to false cast and really tend to water pull my casts and highstick when using nymphs anyway so I think that's where I'll end up going.
    Yes that's called water loading and you do more of that kind of thing than "fly line" casting. Orvis makes a Clearwater at 10' 3 wt for $200 that would be a good option (it is not merely a 10' 3 wt rod, it is specifically designed with Euro nymphing in mind.) For a step up a lot of even professional fishermen like the Recon 10' 3 wt as a versatile rod for both Euro nymphing and standard fishing if you need to be adaptable.
    European Nymphing Collection | European Nymphing Collection | Fly Fishing -- Orvis

Default Re: Recommendations for equipment for the area?

I live in the Smokies and fish daily. I have a yearly Tribal permit and NC license so I can go almost anywhere and do. Here is what I use, though I have about nine rods to choose from. My most used rod on the Ravens Fork on Cherokee Tribal water is a 10' 2wt euro-style rod. As the water drops I might go to a dry/dropper setup with either an 8'6" 3wt or 4wt depending. In the Park itself it is mostly a 3wt, or 2wt, shorter rods in the summer when the canopy hangs low. In the winter I might go to a 4wt but that is rare. I don't specifically nymph much in the Park. Those outfits are used almost everywhere I fish. On the DH sections wading I still use my 3wt or sometimes a 4wt. I never use a 5wt, but that is my preference.

The 3wt I use the most is a Winton B3x 8'6". It punches above its weight and can handle small streamers and light dry/dropper duty, as well as straight dry flies. I've landed fish over 20" on it, it's just a great rod for my needs here. I go even lighter in the summer with a 7'6" Winston B3LS 3wt or an Orvis 2wt Superfine.

I fished the 2wt nymph rod and 3wt Winston B3x 95% of the time from October through May. June through Sept. I go lighter. That's my style though. Hope that helps.

Unless you fish indicator nymphs from a boat the 5wt is just overkill here.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12