Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  2

Cool Fly box and other Qs for SW FL in late Nov/early Dec?

So, next month I'm setting off on what's shaping up to be a fairly epic multi-week fishing trip, on which I'm going to do something I've wanted to do my whole angling life: be in south Florida with my own boat and plenty of fishing time.

I've fished out of the mid Keys and the Pine Island Sound areas over the years, on foot, in rental canoes out of Tarpon Bay at Ding Darling, and with guides -- a dozen or so trips amounting to close to a month's worth of experience, for bones, permit (have never hooked up), tarpon, snook, reds and black drum, trout. I don't think I'll run to the Keys (overland) and will focus on Pine Island Sound, launching from Punta Rassa, and the 10,000 Islands (probably not all of them). I'll be staying less than a half hour drive from the Punta Rassa ramp and an hour or so from access points south of Naples. I have a sonar/gps unit aboard, and backup gps, for venturing into the 10k Islands area, am getting informed and prepared on ENP boating regs, and studying charts and satellite imagery. I'm in a poling skiff, not planning to run into the backcountry in a Lund deep V.

I'd certainly welcome any wise words on boating the area. I do have a bit of experience operating in marine and tidal zones.

My big questions is flies to tie, primarily size and color for that time of year. I'm tying Clousers, various styles of toads, have a stock of Crazy Charlie-style patterns, have some EP spawning shrimp, some EP crabs and others, lots baitfish patterns in bucktail and EP/SF fibers. I know I'm going to tie mostly and buy some to over 100 new flies for this trip and end up using three patterns.

What do you consider the essential patterns to have, and in what sizes and colors?

Also, would you bother bringing any 7wt tackle, or lighter? I'm planning to have along 8-9-10, which covers everything on the first leg of the trip -- stripers -- but I have room to throw in a 6 or 7. Or would it be smarter to pack an 11wt rig instead?

Thanks for any knowledge you can share.

Default Re: Fly box and other Qs for SW FL in late Nov/early Dec?

I'd throw in some gurglers.

Also, not sure what kind of GPS you have, but if you can get florida marine tracks mapping software for it, I'd recommend it. It's a little bit high dollar, but really, really nice.
    Home - Florida Marine Tracks

7wt is pretty handy down here. I'd bring both your 7 and 11. Isn't "get both" always the correct answer?

3. Thanks joe_strummer thanked for this post

Gurglers, check. I have one to model for some tying.

Using Humminbird (not compatible, looks like) and Navionics. That is some nice looking GIS though. I'll pack 10 rods for the trip, so there should be room for both, and maybe even a 6wt. But the tug between keeping it simple and light, and not getting caught 2,000 miles from home without the one 3-ounce thing that would be perfect is ongoing.

I'd say you have it covered. EP Baitfish, Clousers, EP Spawning Shrimp, and now gurglers.

I like to tie my EP Baitfish in a white/sand belly and olive/bluish color on top, then you can bring a sharpie to change into a pinfish, spotted tilapia, etc.
    Clousers in bright colors can be really useful too in off color water and in freshwater for exotics.
    Reds can be pretty spooky so I like having a kwan type fly too. Great for weedless shallow water action.

6. Likes ramjet liked this post

Following this one, I'll be a bit North of this area for 3 or so months starting in January.

>I like to tie my EP Baitfish in a white/sand belly and olive/bluish color on top, then you can bring a sharpie to change into a pinfish, spotted tilapia, etc.<

That's a great idea!

8. Likes lacivic99 liked this post

Gurglers are a must. I would also carry some redfish crack, Schminnows, and surf candies. All are good patterns i have alot of confidence in.

I think you are fine with rods. Maybe bring the 11 if you think you'll have shots are very big tarpon but then 10wt can handle most anything here in FL from a boat. I personally don't like going too light since you might hook something unexpected. I have seen plenty of guys loose a whole spool of line thinking they are throwing to snook on the beach and end up hooking a 100lb+ tapon or shark.

will you do any night fishing under the lights?

Blog Entries

Always good to have a hook hone in the box when out in the saltwater. Oyster shell and sand tears up hook points. Sharp hooks = more fish.

I like the ceramic tiemco made one, will not ever corrode and has a coarse and fine side.
    Presentations made
    at fish, structure and bait sign
    Eats, in no way blind