Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  3

Default WNC Fly Fishing Expo 2019?

I am getting limited info on this years event as opposed to the last few years.

Is it happening this year?

This is the show at the Ag Expo center towards the airport.
    Mainline the blueline

Default Re: WNC Fly Fishing Expo 2019?

Doesn’t look hopeful ...their website still reflects 2017.

Facebook page still reflects last years, 2018.

Quote Originally Posted by flyminded View Post
    Doesn’t look hopeful ...their website still reflects 2017.

Facebook page still reflects last years, 2018.
    Yep. That’s what I found.

The only reference to 2019 appears to be a non related commercial ad for hotels.
    Mainline the blueline

My understanding is there will be no Expo this year. The scuttlebutt I heard from last year was a lot of disappointment from both vendors and the size of attendance. I think the lack of an indoor casting pool was an unwelcome surprise for a lot of people.
    Instead, there is to be a Fly-Tying Expo in January in Hendersonville. It is being sponsored by Hilltop Fly Tiers. It is billed as a fly tying event, but shops will have displays with items to sell.
    A flyer has been printed that says the dates will be January 17, 18 from 9:00 AM until 6:00 PM. Look for a flyer at your local outfitter. (If someone can/will post it, I will send you a picture of the flyer.)

5. Thanks flyminded thanked for this post

Quote Originally Posted by brook rookie View Post
    My understanding is there will be no Expo this year. The scuttlebutt I heard from last year was a lot of disappointment from both vendors and the size of attendance. I think the lack of an indoor casting pool was an unwelcome surprise for a lot of people.
    Instead, there is to be a Fly-Tying Expo in January in Hendersonville. It is being sponsored by Hilltop Fly Tiers. It is billed as a fly tying event, but shops will have displays with items to sell.
    A flyer has been printed that says the dates will be January 17, 18 from 9:00 AM until 6:00 PM. Look for a flyer at your local outfitter. (If someone can/will post it, I will send you a picture of the flyer.)
    Thanks brook rookie. I kind of figured something was up this year as there's been no announcements.

As an aside, the last one I went to was about 3 years ago and I was a little disappointed, but again it was my first one attended. It seemed a bit pricey at $15 to get in which I thought was a bit high for what was there.

As a comparison, I went to the VA fly fishing and wine expo in Ashland near Richmond a couple of years ago and it was well attended with lots of exhibitors and displays. The fee was the same or less, you did have to pay extra to do the wine part which was not a problem with me as I wasn't interested in that.

I am debating on going to the big fly fishing expo in Atlanta after the first of the year. I have never attended but I am gathering its a pretty big show.
    Mainline the blueline

Quote Originally Posted by jayr View Post
    I am debating on going to the big fly fishing expo in Atlanta after the first of the year. I have never attended but I am gathering its a pretty big show.
    I stopped going to the WNC Expo maybe 3-4 years ago because I found it not worth the time (and I only live 20 minutes from there) or the money, but I heard last year's was especially dreadful and so based on the reports I received not surprised it's apparently ending. Really too bad.

I've been to the last two Atlanta shows. It's pretty good sized (downright huge compared to the WNC show), but certainly not on the scale of the NJ show (from what I've heard about that one, I've never been).

I thought the Atlanta show two years ago was better than last year's show. I'm not sorry I went last year, but I enjoyed the prior show more. I think the exhibitors were more or less the same each year, but I thought the programs/presentations were not as good last year. Maybe I just chose poorly, but I found myself walking out of most. I love the ability to cast the new rods (and there's so many new ones out this year!), but it can be tough. The lines at the casting pools (they have 2) can get long and they often are closed altogether for casting demonstrations. It makes for a really long day (for me it's about a 3 1/2 drive each way and I'm guessing about the same for you), but as long as the roads are in good shape I imagine I'll go again.

8. Likes jayr liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by WNCtroutstalker View Post
    I stopped going to the WNC Expo maybe 3-4 years ago because I found it not worth the time (and I only live 20 minutes from there) or the money, but I heard last year's was especially dreadful and so based on the reports I received not surprised it's apparently ending. Really too bad.

I've been to the last two Atlanta shows. It's pretty good sized (downright huge compared to the WNC show), but certainly not on the scale of the NJ show (from what I've heard about that one, I've never been).

I thought the Atlanta show two years ago was better than last year's show. I'm not sorry I went last year, but I enjoyed the prior show more. I think the exhibitors were more or less the same each year, but I thought the programs/presentations were not as good last year. Maybe I just chose poorly, but I found myself walking out of most. I love the ability to cast the new rods (and there's so many new ones out this year!), but it can be tough. The lines at the casting pools (they have 2) can get long and they often are closed altogether for casting demonstrations. It makes for a really long day (for me it's about a 3 1/2 drive each way and I'm guessing about the same for you), but as long as the roads are in good shape I imagine I'll go again.

I get what you’re saying, if it was that close and you weren’t interested, that says a lot.

Personally, for $15 to get in was about $10 too much from what I saw.

Atlanta is about 3-3 1/2 hours down the road, but it might be worth it.
    Mainline the blueline

10. Likes WNCtroutstalker liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by WNCtroutstalker View Post
    I thought the Atlanta show two years ago was better than last year's show. I'm not sorry I went last year, but I enjoyed the prior show more. I think the exhibitors were more or less the same each year, but I thought the programs/presentations were not as good last year.
    Agreed. If you have never been, and assuming the show early next year is similar to the past ones, it is probably worth a look. Having been before i find it a bit less compelling.

12. Likes WNCtroutstalker liked this post