Thanks Thanks:  5
Likes Likes:  9
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 16 of 16
  1. #11
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Farmington, ill. -Stop by for a cold beer on your way thru
    Posts
    923
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Keys in February..mistake?

    Quote Originally Posted by okaloosa View Post
    there are also resident 20 to 60 pound tarpon in the miami river that fish well under the lights at night and are an absolute blast....
    call Capt Doug Lillard if interested
    Noted, I have an Argentinian guide friend who does that on his vacation to the States. Thanks for the tip, that may happen, googling now

  2. #12

    Default Re: Keys in February..mistake?

    Quote Originally Posted by k_e_v View Post
    Noted, I have an Argentinian guide friend who does that on his vacation to the States. Thanks for the tip, that may happen, googling now
    Trust me, it is the most exciting form of fly fishing in terms of seeing tarpon shoot out of the darkness to take your fly in the light. Unlike flats tarpon sight fishing it is not a gentle gulp...
    they nail that fly like it owes them money......all on a #10 wt rod....most fun you can have without risking an STD!

  3. Thanks k_e_v thanked for this post
    Likes Matt4.0 liked this post
  4. #13
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Farmington, ill. -Stop by for a cold beer on your way thru
    Posts
    923
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Keys in February..mistake?

    Quote Originally Posted by okaloosa View Post
    Trust me, it is the most exciting form of fly fishing in terms of seeing tarpon shoot out of the darkness to take your fly in the light. Unlike flats tarpon sight fishing it is not a gentle gulp...
    they nail that fly like it owes them money......all on a #10 wt rod....most fun you can have without risking an STD!

    Now Thats a great post!!!!

  5. #14

    Default Re: Keys in February..mistake?

    Herbie's on Marathon. Square Grouper and the No Name on Big Pine.

    Get stoked about Baracuda and Sharks.

    That is my advice. (Or, run the backcountry to the Everglades- where winter fishing can save a trip!)

    Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

  6. Thanks k_e_v thanked for this post
    Likes brownbass liked this post
  7. #15
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Farmington, ill. -Stop by for a cold beer on your way thru
    Posts
    923
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Keys in February..mistake?

    Quote Originally Posted by okaloosa View Post
    there are also resident 20 to 60 pound tarpon in the miami river that fish well under the lights at night and are an absolute blast....
    call Capt Doug Lillard if interested
    Email to Captain Doug sent

    Thanks for the recommendation

  8. #16

    Default Re: Keys in February..mistake?

    Tarpon are in the keys all year. They are bigger and more numerous during migration but they get lots of pressure. You may do better in February with less fishing pressure
    My last 4 trips to Key West have been in October & December. I take 3 rods rigged ready to go. Never know when you will get a shot at permit; jacks; snappers, etc. We were were moving to a different spot, guide spots a tailing permit. We got a shot because we had another rod ready with a crab fly. I like a 9, 10, & 12 wt. Sminnow on the 9, a crab on the 10; bunnies/ toads on the 12. The 10 is your backup tarpon rod. Chumming for sharks on the flats is great practice. I used a big red/orange feathery fly. We caught 5 big lemon sharks.
    Okaloosa is right about dock light fishing. Caught 2 smaller ones at night where I was staying. Crack of dawn too. You’ll jump a lot more than you catch.

    Good luck, you’ll have fun.

  9. Thanks k_e_v thanked for this post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Threads

  1. Florida Keys This February!!!
    By zhaddock in forum Saltwater Fly Fishing
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 08-18-2018, 05:06 PM
  2. Did I make a mistake?
    By swflangler in forum Fly Lines
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-30-2014, 07:05 PM
  3. would i be making a mistake?
    By luked in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 06-15-2011, 06:20 PM
  4. Mistake?
    By Mdowdey in forum Fly Reels
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-19-2008, 10:07 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Do Not Sell My Personal Information