Helton Creek

Dotsonnt

Reaction score
Yeh man fished it one time last year and it is an amazing fishery BUT way way way over fished. As you might know it is a delayed harvest stream but it is one of the only ones in the area. It is stocked very heavily but people fish the CRAP out of it. Also, there is very little regulation on the stream so lots of time the fished are jerked out and put in a frying pan as fast as their stocked. I have a friend that owns a local fly shop and he said he watched two guys catch a cooler full with a can of corn in about a half hour! He reported them but never saw a warden. If you can hit it right it can be a great day of fishing but i would try to avoid it on the weekends for sure!
Good luck and let me know how you do man!
-Nate-

petroleumhauler

Reaction score
Thanks Nate,
I live close to the Mitchell River in Surry Co and theres a lot of the same isssues there as far as poaching goes which really annoys me. Im hoping to go to Helton Creek sometime next month. Thanks for the advice.- Chad

Dotsonnt

Reaction score
Oh cool, I used to live in Stokes Co. and fished the Mitchell very regularly. That stream is getting hit really hard these days isn't it? Hate it man that was a fun stream to fish. I live in Boone now and the same thing is going on here but there are just more places to fish. You should come up and wet a line with me sometime bud.