Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Cudjoe Key

Default Cudjoe Key

I was totally surprised yesterday to receive an invitation to go to Cudjoe Key in early summer. The house is booked for May 29th - June 6th. I need as much information as I can get, please.
    What kind of fish will I find at that time? Is there any surf wading? What is entailed in fishing the reefs? Do you have any recommendations for a guide service? Waht else do I need to know?
    Thanks in advance for your help. BTW, I have an 8wt Recon and Danielsson reel with an all-purpose saltwater line.

Farmington, ill. -Stop by for a cold beer on your way thru
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Cudjoe Key

Hey JDR
    I just returned from a trip there. I would recommend Capt Scott Yetter of Sight Fish charters. He is a pleasant guy to spend a day with and works really hard to get you on fish. He has a remarkable knowledge of his area and his time scouting all the local islands and channels really pays off. Tell him Kevin said hi

My only other recommendation is to be sure to stop by 5brothers2 Cuban grocery in ramrod key to get your Cuban coffee and sandwiches for the boat trip. Great coffee

Enjoy your trip
    Kev

3. Thanks JDR thanked for this post

Kevin, thank you for the info. Can you tell me what type of fish I might encounter? I am thinking Snook and Tarpon? But, I have to say, sorry, after 71 years I cannot bring myself to drink coffee.

Wow! That's a really, really nice invite, man! What a prime time down there and such a great location too! I am totally jealous.

There's not going to be any surf fishing. There will be a lot of great flats fishing though. There will also be great potential to get into tarpon since that's prime time. You might even luck into the paolo worm hatch. If you can spring for a guide, I'd do it right away. You might need some luck to even book one since the demand for guides at that time of year will be through the roof. For DIY if you can spring for a boat rental, that would help your chances also. Your 8# will be great for bonefish, but it isn't going to work for those big tarpon. That's a trip that would maybe warrant picking up a used 11#. Do a lot of casting practice before you go.

6. Thanks JDR thanked for this post

If you plan to fish for adult Tarpon, you should book a guide. If you hook an adult Tarpon, managing the Tarpon and the boat at the same time will definitely be a challenge. As Flafly mentioned, finding a guide will be difficult. The guide will probably have 11 or 12 wt rods available for you.

Thanks to all, I have booked the guide that k-e-v recommended. So, everything is ready to go as far as that goes. Is there any wade fishing around there? Good food? Though the guide will provide them, I would like to tie some flies for the trip. I am assuming that crabs and shrimp are the go to patterns? What colors have you found to work best?

That's tarpon migration time. I'd take full advantage of that and ignore all the bonefish, but that's a personal preference.
    The addiction all began on the Cimmaron River in New Mexico...

Quote Originally Posted by JDR View Post
    Thanks to all, I have booked the guide that k-e-v recommended. So, everything is ready to go as far as that goes. Is there any wade fishing around there? Good food? Though the guide will provide them, I would like to tie some flies for the trip. I am assuming that crabs and shrimp are the go to patterns? What colors have you found to work best?
    Nice! I'd ask the guide about the flies. If you have some days to DIY, and you don't have a tarpon rod, then you could probably rent a kayak and get into some bonefish with your 8#. Not sure about any direct wading opportunity you'll have without at least a kayak though. If you drive over to Bahia Honda, I know people wade out there directly. Not sure about Cudjoe.

11. Thanks JDR thanked for this post