Looking for camping/fishing info on GSMNP

EHC

Reaction score
Hello everyone!Wonder if anyone has ever fished or has some information on camping & fly fishing in the Great Smoky Mnts National Park. Trip would be next year in either April/May/June. It would car camping and them (i'm guessing) hiking into fish streams/rivers. Any help would be greatly appreciated!Thanks in advance.

Don

Reaction score
EHC, Funny you should ask. I love to fish the GSMNP. There are so many streams that its hard to pick one. If you don't want to stray far from the road then the Little River from the Sugarlands Visitor Center to the Townsend exit is good. Also the Little river above and below Elkmont Campground if there isn't a "tube" hatch going on. In Cade's Cove, Abrams Creek is good. On the NC side, the Oconaluftee near Cherokee is road accessible. I'm planning on doing some camping/fishing up there during the early months next year (I love cold weather). If you want to hike and fish theres plenty of that too. I recommend that you get a copy of Don Kirk's Fly Fishing the Smoky Mountains, a National Geographic GSMNP trail map and also vist the park web site for up to date info on fishing and camping regs. You'll also need either a TN or NC fishing lic. Don

EHC

Reaction score
Thanks Don! I appreciate the information! It's timely you mention Don Kirk's book - "FF Guide to the Great Smoky Mountains" - I just picked it up yesterday! I've been living in Charlotte for a few years now and haven't been able to get over to GSMNP...hopefully I can change that this spring. Good luck and tight lines on your cold weather adventure (of course with the weather we are having now, you might want to pack some shorts and sun block). Thanks agian for your response.Tim

Pike

Reaction score
EHC, did you ever get your trip to Great Smoky Mountains in?

There is a new map-driven site, ActivityGuidebook, that has map driven information on Smoky at this link.

No fishing info on Smoky yet but it is user driven so you can add in any info you have. It does have a lot of Geospatial info on camping, hiking and all that sort of stuff.

Looking forward to my next fly fishing expedition - my annual trip to the Humber river in Newfoundland for Atlantic Salmon. But that is better saved for another post.

Tight Lines... Pike