Trying to sneak a few casts in Orlando

swirlchaser

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I'll be in Orlando for a conference Apr.3-5th. I won't have a full day to take a trip but I can probably sneak in a few hours. Freshwater, saltwater anyone who happens to be fishing near The Rosen Shingle Creek Resort on those days drop me a line.

gatortransplant

Reaction score
There's definitely some loaded lakes in the area. I know there's a guide on here who is out of Orlando for saltwater, but maybe he can give you the low-down on good bass lakes? I'll put the feelers out, see if I can scare up some information for you!

williamhj

Reaction score
I'm visiting my folks out there in the spring and am bringing some streamers and poppers. They have some ponds around them and I'll see what I can stir up. I figure if I don't have much time I'd rather not burn it driving around.

Red Owl

Reaction score
You have a couple of options: on salt- drive State Road 50 straight over to the beach in Titusville. There is a causeway over to the beach and you can get into Mosquito Lagoon. You can fly fish and wade. I believe you have to stop at the entrance to pick up a permit but it isn't a big deal.
Just before going over the causeway there is a bait shop that can give you better details. If you park near the beach- that side of the lagoon has pretty much a sandy bottom whereas the other side is muck/muddy bottom in many areas. You can also just wade around the causeway.
For fresh water- take I-4 North past Altamonte Springs to SR 434 and take it west to Wekiva Springs Blvd and then follow it about 3-4 miles to Hunt Club Road- turn right and go about 1/4 mile and there is a canoe/kayak rental. Rent a kayak ($30 all day- noon to 5 pm $20). Paddle downstream (real slow current) about 5- 10 minutes and there are lilly pads and sloughs everywhere- bass bugger's heaven.:cool:

swirlchaser

Reaction score
You have a couple of options: on salt- drive State Road 50 straight over to the beach in Titusville. There is a causeway over to the beach and you can get into Mosquito Lagoon. You can fly fish and wade. I believe you have to stop at the entrance to pick up a permit but it isn't a big deal.
Just before going over the causeway there is a bait shop that can give you better details. If you park near the beach- that side of the lagoon has pretty much a sandy bottom whereas the other side is muck/muddy bottom in many areas. You can also just wade around the causeway.
For fresh water- take I-4 North past Altamonte Springs to SR 434 and take it west to Wekiva Springs Blvd and then follow it about 3-4 miles to Hunt Club Road- turn right and go about 1/4 mile and there is a canoe/kayak rental. Rent a kayak ($30 all day- noon to 5 pm $20). Paddle downstream (real slow current) about 5- 10 minutes and there are lilly pads and sloughs everywhere- bass bugger's heaven.:cool:
Thank you Red Owl! I think plan B will work for me:D A kayak and lily pads makes me a very happy man.:wiggle:

Red Owl

Reaction score
Then opt for the kayak. There is Wekiva State Park and they rent small 8' sit in type kayaks, not too stable, AND you'll have to paddle downstream about a mile to the junction of Rock Springs Run and the Wekiva River. By far the better option is to go to the private marina that is BEFORE you get to Wekiva Springs Park. This private marina is at Hunt Club Road- there is a Wendys on the left and a traffic light- there's some houses but the river is wild and very scenic- I've seen wild turkeys in the Wendy's parking lot!. In any event the kayaks at the marina (Wekiva Island 407-862-1500) are 10' long and the sit on top type with foot braces, a good back rest, etc- these are $900 plus types and very good and fairly fast and stable. They have ties downs fore and aft. The cost at both places is the same since you would have to pay an entrance fee to get into the State Park. There are two streams- Rock Springs Run and the Wekiva River. The run is small and shallow- you are far better off going down stream from the Marina. I am saying downstream just to get away from the marina/boat launch but folks catch bass right at the marina. Have fun.:cool:

theboz

Reaction score
Plan B sounds good to me also Swirl. Told you bout the gators cause I found out the hard way . An old man walking his dog down the cart path asked me if I was afraid wading one of the ponds ? Why I asked him and he proceeded to flash his lite by a bunch of pads pointing out several sets of eyes a cast away from me . Learned Jim to cast 10 feet back on the bank after that! Still good fishing just more caution.

---------- Post added at 01:07 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:04 AM ----------

I'll be down that way next week. Mainly on a boat though.and some beaches and high canals . Golf course ponds ? Maybe?