wilson creek

flysean

Reaction score
i know this is short notice but i am coming to morgantown nc in the morning and i called wilson creek outfitters and asked where is the best place for me to fish for some trout and the told me wilson creek does anyone out there know of this creek and if so whats its about, where should i fish, whats the flies of choice. If this is not a great place to fish could someone tell me any other creek i dwill beable to fish thursday afternoon and friday morning . i know this is fast trip i just learned i was leaving a little bit ago thanks again if and for the help

Jackster

Reaction score
Depending on the water temps and drought conditions I would head up into the wild trout waters for brookies. The delayed harvest streams are pretty beat up, picked over and poached out by now but you might luck into some fish.
With delayed harvest fish it's hard to tell what they'll eat. I would opt for tiny midges and nymphs first... maybe dropped off of a sulfur. I believe they've seen and been stung by enough woolly buggers, eggs and San Juan-type worms by now.
If you keep going up into the headwaters to the wild trout waters they can be highly opportunistic. There's not a lot of bug life up there. The fish won't be big but the thrill of having a brookie come up out of a deep, clear pool to tag a dry is the bomb.
Attached below is a link to NC trout maps. Click on Avery and Burke Counties and fine tune with your Delorme.
Trout Fishing Maps