Smallmouth water in S. Georgia?

tedwin183

Reaction score
Hello All:

Currently looking at a postdoc position in Tifton, GA. and was wondering if there are any public creeks/rivers that are wadeable for smallmouth? Looks like I'd be 3-4 hrs from good trout water, which is a bummer, but I get plenty of smallmouth in N. IL., so I'd be very satisfied with that.

zug buggin

Reaction score
Hello All:

Currently looking at a postdoc position in Tifton, GA. and was wondering if there are any public creeks/rivers that are wadeable for smallmouth? Looks like I'd be 3-4 hrs from good trout water, which is a bummer, but I get plenty of smallmouth in N. IL., so I'd be very satisfied with that.

largemouth in south Georgia got to go to east Tennessee to get smallmouth but yes look for state parks in the area for water access

clay tonian

Reaction score
No smallies in S Ga., in a literal sense...but you can catch shoal bass in small creeks feeding the Flint River. Excellent fly fish, but you'll probably need a boat to access them. Redeye bass are scattered in some creeks within a couple hours drive towards the mountains. Very hard to find wadable water in south GA. Smallie water starts on the Toccoa in N Ga., but good luck finding access. Rumor has it they're showing up in the Chattahoochee, still a long drive from Tipton.

I see now that your post is from Sept., so you've probably already figured this out...

zug buggin

Reaction score
No smallies in S Ga., in a literal sense...but you can catch shoal bass in small creeks feeding the Flint River. Excellent fly fish, but you'll probably need a boat to access them. Redeye bass are scattered in some creeks within a couple hours drive towards the mountains. Very hard to find wadable water in south GA. Smallie water starts on the Toccoa in N Ga., but good luck finding access. Rumor has it they're showing up in the Chattahoochee, still a long drive from Tipton.

I see now that your post is from Sept., so you've probably already figured this out...
So far no confirmed smallmouth in the Hooch, several claims and pics but the biologist are saying no on them being Smallmouth

Red Owl

Reaction score
The answer is pretty much....NO. A lot of flowing waters have mud bottoms and quick sand and then there can be gators, etc. In the southern flatlands you really need a boat. A lot of shorelines are weed choked- you can't really cast from shore.
I'd think about a kayak and go bass bugging. You can start out with bream (sunfish) as they are eager biters and you can get a quick education.
The closest trout would be the tail water just outside Atlanta. I haven't fished there but they say you can catch a lot of trout.
I don't know if Brigadoon is still in business but you pay your fee and catch 10 pound plus trophy trout- all catch and release. :cool:
BTW Welcome to Dixie, please be sure to leave everything as you have found it. :D
Getting back to the bass- fly fishing is actually a pretty good method. Anyone with spin or baitcast gear has to reel in the plug and it will snag on weeds, etc. and therefore they won't fish certain areas that you can easily fish with fly tackle. Go with a strong enough tippet to hold a bass that gets wrapped in weeds.