The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > >

Southeast U.S. Florida, Georgia, South Carolina and North Carolina. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  3
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Old 08-09-2017, 07:48 PM

maverick9110e is a jewel in the roughmaverick9110e is a jewel in the roughmaverick9110e is a jewel in the roughmaverick9110e is a jewel in the rough
Default Linville River/ Linville Gorge NC

Looking at doing a camping/fishing trip in October this year around the weekend of the 14th in the NC Mountains. Living in Raleigh i was trying to keep the driving to a 4 hour max. Stumbled across a nice camp site and seems pretty close the the Linville river. Just curious if others have fished this area as i have no idea what to expect. Planning on hiking in and wading down/up the river and also plan to use Old NC 105 highway. Yea/Nea? Better place around the same distance?
Old 08-10-2017, 05:07 AM

jayr has a brilliant futurejayr has a brilliant futurejayr has a brilliant futurejayr has a brilliant futurejayr has a brilliant futurejayr has a brilliant futurejayr has a brilliant futurejayr has a brilliant futurejayr has a brilliant futurejayr has a brilliant futurejayr has a brilliant future
Default Re: Linville River/ Linville Gorge NC

This may be of use.

Fly Fishing the Linville River North Carolina
Likes maverick9110e liked this post
Old 08-10-2017, 07:11 AM

djb_88 is on a distinguished road

I love the Linville Gorge! Although I've never fished it. A friend of mine just spent 3-4 days there about a month ago and caught a bunch of smallies but no trout. I've heard that the trout bite in the Gorge is weak but there are plenty of smallmouth. If you do go please write us a report and let us know what you find. I need to get up there myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Old 08-10-2017, 09:44 AM

maverick9110e is a jewel in the roughmaverick9110e is a jewel in the roughmaverick9110e is a jewel in the roughmaverick9110e is a jewel in the rough

Thanks for the link! Was looking at hitting the actual gorge area and make the hike down into the gorge. Sounds like a High risk/ High reward opportunity! Might have to go for it while I'm young. We can hit the easier site right up from the campground. I'll definitely report back with the plan!
Old 08-10-2017, 10:24 AM

horsehead is just really nicehorsehead is just really nicehorsehead is just really nicehorsehead is just really nicehorsehead is just really nice

It's been about 15 years, since I was a youth in boy scouts, but Linville Gorge has the be one of the most beautiful places in the Appalachians. If you're physically up to it, I say go for it. But don't underestimate those trails. They were brutal on an in shape 17 year old. They might just kill me now that one twice that and fat. Hahaha!
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Old 10-04-2017, 06:37 PM

So i'll be heading out to the Linville River just north of the falls for a Saturday/Sunday camping trip. My brother was supposed to come along but got called into to work and has to fly out for school on Tuesday for a month. So my choice was go out and camp by myself and fish or cancel the trip.

I can think of worse things to do than go out camping/fishing in the mountains by myself, lol. That being said if anyone is in the area and wants to meet up/ Tag along just let me know.
Old 10-04-2017, 06:42 PM

c web will become famous soon enough

I am interested but are you sure you don't want to drive just a bit further?