Otter Creek Outdoor Rec. Area Now Open

mbphotos54

Reaction score
Just thought I would share this. A park that I used to spend alot of time at that closed 2 years ago is now open again. This park is 30 minutes south of Louisville KY. You can find more info here:

KY: Kentucky Dept Fish and Wildlife -

I was out there today for biking/ trail cleaning but spent a few minutes near the creek and watched a fellow fly fishing catch several trout in the time I was watching. The creek was stocked last week and the Park operators plan to stock 4 times a year. so you if your ever in this area give this creek a try.

Mike

mbphotos54

Reaction score
new info video released. Im in this on my mountain bike.:cool:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yMw_KNUx7fQ]YouTube - ‪Otter Creek Outdoor Recreation Area‬‏[/ame]

mbphotos54

Reaction score
the last few weeks before teh rains came again the creek was crowded with flyfishermen on wednesday mornings, by crowded I mean 6 to 10 cars, anyway, the park is closed monday and tuesday so early wednesday morning seems to be a good time. Iv seen some nice rainbows and small mouth and sunfish. anyone interested in checking the place out Id be happy to show you around. send me a message.
Mike

mbphotos54

Reaction score
had a great day on the creek last week. lots of sunfish and a few bass, seen alot more.

[ame=http://www.vimeo.com/27552587]fly fishing otter creek 8-10 11 on Vimeo[/ame]

mbphotos54

Reaction score
the meeting went well, I was there also. It was my first time meeting the club. road kill send me a message if you wanna get on the creek sometime. I usually go to my spots wednesday mornings and some saturday evenings.
mike

twobuckchuck

Reaction score
I've never been fishing at Otter Creek, but I'd sure like to get out there! I Remember going to the park decades ago as a child, but I didn't get into fly fishing until recently.

I've got a week or two left until my broken right foot is healed up, but then I'm planning on giving it a try.

Do you think the locations recommended on the Derby City Fly Fishers' web site are good? And what flies have you been having luck with?

BTW: love your videos!

mbphotos54

Reaction score
I've never been fishing at Otter Creek, but I'd sure like to get out there! I Remember going to the park decades ago as a child, but I didn't get into fly fishing until recently.

I've got a week or two left until my broken right foot is healed up, but then I'm planning on giving it a try.

Do you think the locations recommended on the Derby City Fly Fishers' web site are good? And what flies have you been having luck with?

BTW: love your videos!
hey chuck, send me a message, I am off on wednesdays and would gladly show you around out there. lots of stuff works, yellow and balck marabou jigs are a sure thing if the other stuff isnt working. crawfish patterns for the smallies, and I use small minnow patterns. if you bring a good asortment youll catch something. let me know.

luckyduck69

Reaction score
I'm almost always free for fishing... or, at least, I'll make myself available. haha. I'm a local photographer and fly fisherman in the Louisville area. If there's a club or group of you guys that fish Otter.. please include me.

Tight Lines!

:D

EDIT: I drove down to check out water levels today. The creek looks good. There were a couple of gents fishing off the bank with what appeared to be some kind of weird casting outfit. Definitely wasn't a fly rod... scared me. In any case, I snapped some pics.

Last edited:

mbphotos54

Reaction score
looks like you where on th ft knox part of otter, I was at the rec area, a few miles down river form 1638 for most of the morning. Are you involved in the louisville smugmug, we have a etown smug photo meet up once a month. I rarley take the slr with me even tho I have a case for water.. just bulk. I took the gopro out today, ill post some later.

---------- Post added at 02:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:57 PM ----------

Derby City Fly Fishers - Louisville KY

this is the group I sometimes fish with.

---------- Post added at 03:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:58 PM ----------

today

luckyduck69

Reaction score
looks like you where on th ft knox part of otter, I was at the rec area, a few miles down river form 1638 for most of the morning. Are you involved in the louisville smugmug, we have a etown smug photo meet up once a month. I rarley take the slr with me even tho I have a case for water.. just bulk. I took the gopro out today, ill post some later.

---------- Post added at 02:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:57 PM ----------

Derby City Fly Fishers - Louisville KY

this is the group I sometimes fish with.

---------- Post added at 03:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:58 PM ----------

today
Hey, it sounds like we have couple of things in common. I sent you a PM with my smugmug info. Add me as a friend on there and I'll do the same. I will take a look at that Derby City Fly Fishers site, as well. Thanks for the link.

Check your messages!

Until next time... tight lines.

mbphotos54

Reaction score
i dont actully use smugmug, I just go the the meet. I do alot of adventure sport and out in the woods photos. next time you think about heading down let me know, im off wednesdays and sundays, be glad to show you the area

Last edited:

luckyduck69

Reaction score
i dont actully use smugmug, I just go the the meet. I do alot of adventure sport and out in the woods photos. next time you think about heading down let me know, im off wednesdays and sundays, be gald to show you the area
Deal! I will hit you up the next time I'm heading that way for some outdoor time.

mbphotos54

Reaction score
not sure how it looks the next few weeks, wont be able to this week, and the week after. atleast not a wednesday. the weedends can get crouded unless we hike in,, which is better anyway.