Brown Trout in the Red River Gorge

jor fly

Reaction score
I've been fly fishing the Gorge for about three years now and had plenty of luck with rainbows, but the browns have been absent. Has anyone had anyluck with browns in the Gorge? I've tried the lower end of Chimney Top creek, below the rough trial/sheltowee trace split, to no avail. I've been to the "Big Hole" on the east fork of Indian and not had any luck there, but I know I passed up some prime water hiking back to the thing.

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi,

Welcome to the forum, we have a few members fishing the Red. They will find your thread I suppose but may want to talk about where they are fishing via our PM system. I always use private messaging when talking about fishing spots. I hope you get a few people to give some advice and I know that where there are rainbows there will be a few brown trout as well. I'm way too far away to be of any help on this one.

Glad to have you in the group, the rainbows you're catching; are you getting any big ones?

Ard

jor fly

Reaction score
Caught and released some nice holdovers couple weeks ago up towards the natural bridge section of the red at one of the campgrounds. One 10-11 incher and a couple around 14 inches. Water was high, fast, and cold, so bites were little slow. Caught another 8 inch stocky and hooked a couple really nice holdovers on east fork indian creek, but lost them (new rod and forgot to sting an eye on the rod, so didn't help matters).

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
:doh:​

Oh well, I tried. I don't know why no one replied, we have Kentucky and Indiana people here as well as WV and Ohio. We need more members but if you have any pictures of this place feel free to post them so I can see what it looks like down there at this time of year.

Ard

jor fly

Reaction score
Gator,

It's not bad fishing from Febuary to mid May. After that however all the corn and worm folks come out and devastate the population (KY is a put and take state.) There are some nice holdovers to be had in the early months since most of the streams in the gorge are catch and release from Oct. to April 1st. There are supposed to be some nice brown trout areas (thus this thread), but I've had no luck the couple times I've visited them. Granted, my fishing skills have improved a great deal since then...

---------- Post added at 11:17 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:15 AM ----------

Hardy,

I'll have to try to get some picks of the area to post. If you'd like some pictures of some of the streams, just google Red River Gorge, KY, or go to the Bluegrass chapter of Trout Unlimited to find some information on a East Fork Indian Creek, one of the more prominent streams there.

luckyduck69

Reaction score
What's the word on this stream, as of late? I live just outside of Louisville. I'm wanting to check it out if it's decent. Could be a fun day trip for me.