Help with Abram's Creek GSMNP

Red Owl

Reaction score
I've been to Cade's Cove but I've never fished Abram's Creek. I'll be there the last week in May. I can hike in from either end, Cade's Cove or the Abram's Camp Ground.
So.....need some help here.
1. What is the best way to hike in to some of the better areas? In other words, is one end the better place to park? How long (miles and time) does it take to reach a good area and how crowded in last week of May? Is hiking to the falls worth the time?
2. What are three or four "must have" flies? Patterns and sizes.
3. I can camp either at the Little River or Mouth of Abram's- is one camp ground better than the other?
Thanks for any help :cool:

billyspey

Reaction score
above the falls trout below the falls smallmouth bass. camp in Cades Cove . for trout drive the loop rd to Abrams creek trail hike the trail to good access for trout ,fish back to parking. very slick stream bottom .all day trip back to car must keep moving.no way out, but the river. good fishing, it will be yellow time in the park, for dry fly's ,pt nymphs . ck.little river outfitters ,fishing report for good info, about what happening in the park.

Reactions: Ard

stimulator2

Reaction score
Billyspey looks to have it down we fished this weekend and yellow is the color.

Red Owl

Reaction score
By "yellow" do you mean sulphers? Light Cahills? IAE- for trout I go in to Cade's Cove to park and then hike as far as possible (Horseshoe bend?) and then wade and fish upstream back to the car. Is that correct? Abram's is supposed to be "the stream" since it is a limestone. I was also thinking about the Middle Prong of the Little River- how would the two compare to one another? Thanks.:cool:
BTW: I've read that a dry and nymph combo works well, maybe a #12 Light Cahill and #16 PT nymph. Have you tried it and does it work well?

stimulator2

Reaction score
I think walking down and fishing back up is the best as for the middle prong i have never fished it.The yellow i have been seeing is yellow sally and some yellow may it has been warm and the hatch seems to be earlier.The PT dropper is good also a Hares Ear or Prince will work well.The hatch has been mixed for about a 2 weeks just have to try different pattens.

billyspey

Reaction score
Adams para, orange or yellow stimi's yellow Sally's ,elk hair caddis. ptn in dyed yellow pt.with copper bead and cahill's try different shades of yellow, you could stop Little River Outfitters for latest info just outside the park in Townsend.

---------- Post added at 04:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:59 PM ----------

By "yellow" do you mean sulphers? Light Cahills? IAE- for trout I go in to Cade's Cove to park and then hike as far as possible (Horseshoe bend?) and then wade and fish upstream back to the car. Is that correct? Abram's is supposed to be "the stream" since it is a limestone. I was also thinking about the Middle Prong of the Little River- how would the two compare to one another? Thanks.:cool:
BTW: I've read that a dry and nymph combo works well, maybe a #12 Light Cahill and #16 PT nymph. Have you tried it and does it work well?
You are correct in where to start and park. horseshoe bend) ( I would start early and expect to spend the day, can be great fishing) remember no were can you exit the stream and get back to the car without wading back. it may seam that you could climb back to the top of the trail it may be to thick and more than one hill to climb very deceiving while walk the trail. expect to wade and fish all day carry food and water for the day. also very slick limestone bottom. I would suggest a wading staff. enjoy your day , be safe let's us know with a good report,

mysticm

Reaction score
Others have given good input already. I have fished it and can confirm that he stream bed is extremely slick. Once you wade into the horse shoe sections of the stream, you cannot get to the trail. Only choice is to go up or down the stream.
If you get injured for any reason, there is no choice but to wade it out. Best to fish it with a companion. Also try to get to the trailhead at dawn to avoid the throngs of pathetic 'car tourists'
FWIW, the stream holds some of the larger sized fish in the park.....I have never caught any (likely due to my lack of angling skills)

Red Owl

Reaction score
How much time does it take to hike in from parking at Cade's Cove to the Horseshoe. By "can't get out- you mean the trail runs straight so you have to wade upstream to where the trail comes close to the stream once again? How much time does it take to fish this section? Thanks.

stimulator2

Reaction score
It will take the better part of a day to fish it and like the guys say its very slick so use caution, also just be watchful for snakes its that time of year.

billyspey

Reaction score
I would say fishing better part of a day, carry food and drink. when you walk the trail in you are above the creek so you hear it all the way. while you are fishing you think the trail is just above you but it's not, very deceiving. about a 2.5 mile walk in to the shoe may be a little longer. in the summer they close the loop road to four wheel traffic in the morning I am not sure of the time only for bicycles on Saturdays

---------- Post added at 06:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:39 PM ----------

just checked the web site Cades cove loop rd. is closed to motor vehicles on Wednesday and Saturdays until 10 am.

Red Owl

Reaction score
If it is 2 1/2 miles into the Falls/Horseshoe and you fish up stream until you get back where there is a trail- you can't leave a lunch on shore, etc- have to carry everything with you. Do you wade wet or wear waders? If waders- hiking in 2 1/2 miles seems a long way- wear out the felt soles. If you wear sneakers with rubber soles (not felt) do you use a wading staff? Are the rocks slippery with rubber soles or still slippery with felt soles? When you get out of the horseshoe it sounds like it is still about 2 miles back to the parking area- just wear the wet sneakers? Also- is there a special parking area near the start of the trail to the falls? Thanks. :cool:

mysticm

Reaction score
I recently hiked with a 40lb pack 8mi each way in my felt soled SIMMs boots when I camped in one of the back country sites in the Smokies. The pack weight was a killer after the 6th mile but my feet never felt uncomfortable. The Boots offered terrific ankle support and were terrific hopping the boulders on the small streams. Also at the end of the week-end the soles did not show any unusual wear.

The Abrams trial is pretty smooth (compacted dirt) so you should not have any issues with wearing out the felt soles. I wet waded (w/o waders) since the water temps were in the low 60s.

billyspey

Reaction score
Studs in felt will be helpful on Abrams creek the temp here in Tennessee is getting quiet warm so wet wading is not out of the question water temps are up in the 50's .