Texas members?

wlshafor

Reaction score
anyone else from TX?

<--- Austin TX area.

I wouldn't mind hooking up and slinging bugs with near members near by or even planning a get together event in the near future.

tw1st3d5

Reaction score
I'm up in Georgetown. There is actually quite a large group of fly fishers in the Austin area. Check out Living Waters in Round Rock, they have lots of events on almost every Saturday and a fly tying night on Wednesday night. I know there is Orvis in Austin and a couple of other shops near by but I haven't been to many.

I'm ready for the water temps on the Guad to come down a bit so we can fish for the holdovers from last year! Heard plenty of reports of bows as well as a couple browns being caught already.

karstopo

Reaction score
Houston seems to have a pretty active fly fishing scene. There are almost always folks looking for boat mates/ skiff pushers on the Houston Fly fishing page on FB. Some of the bunch head to the Guad and other destinations at times.

I think some of the folks in the Houston Group have Austin ties.

wlshafor

Reaction score
I shop at Living Waters in Round Rock TX.

http://livingwatersflyfishing.com/

Austin has a good little community of bug slingers. I'll have to search for that Houston FB group that your talking about.

I wouldn't mind to hook up and hit the Guadalupe with a few people.

If you don't slow down in life to take in what's around you before you know it you'll blink and miss your whole life.

-Warren L. Shafor

grifmxc

Reaction score
I'm in the DFW area. I haven't ventured into the hill country yet. I have fished below PK a few times for bass. Mainly head to Broken Bow for trout.

- Matt

wlshafor

Reaction score
This beautiful Guadalupe Bass was caught on 07/23/2016 on a unique fly that I tied. Body of water: Colorado River near Del Valley TX.

If you don't slow down in life to take in what's around you before you know it you'll blink and miss your whole life.

-Warren L. Shafor

Last edited:

wf0

Reaction score
Austin! Born and raised.

Nice Guad you caught there. 2017, eh? Where'd you learn to catch fish in the future?

wlshafor

Reaction score
Oops...! Thanks for catching the date type-o I'll edit it now.

Austin! Born and raised.

Nice Guad you caught there. 2017, eh? Where'd you learn to catch fish in the future?

-Warren L. Shafor

wlshafor

Reaction score
I'd like to catch some Rio's or stripers on the Guadalupe just need some launch point advice for my kayak it places to park and wade

I'm in New Braunfels, mainly fish the Guadalupe or the San Marcos.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wf0

Reaction score
You can launch your kayak at Whitewater, Rio, and Lazy L&L for around $10. Not sure about shuttle pricing.

TPWD has a public access program where they offer free access via Whitewater and Rio, but that just expired (Dec 2nd – May 2nd).

TPWD: News Release: Nov. 29, 2016: Public Fishing Access Areas Open Friday on Guadalupe River

I haven't caught too many Rio Grande Cichlids on the Guad, and if you want to target stripers, you'll want to hit it as early as possible, and/or heavy overcast days, as they favor low-light conditions.