One day to fish near Nashville

acorad

Reaction score
Hi all, I am in Nashville at the end of March for a couple days and have one day to go fishing, on Friday, March 31.

My first choice is trout, and I've researched Caney Fork, the Elk, Duck, & Obey rivers. The Clinch and GSMNP are too far from Nashville I think (~3+ hours).

I don't expect to have a boat of any type, so I'd need a wade-able area. Which sounds like it generally limits me to no-generation flows in tailwaters?

My preference is nymphing, it's the main technique I use here in CA for trout. Although I'm of course happy to chuck dry flies, streamers, etc.!

All this together, it seems like Caney is probably my best bet?

I'd sure like to get some input from you all that know and fish the area!

2nd preference would be bass fishing, 3rd would be big carp. I've never caught a grassie.

So, any suggestions?

TIA!

Andy

jayr

Reaction score
You are a good 3 hours from the GSMNP and the Clinch, depending on traffic and which side of Nashville you're on.

The Caney would at least be an hour, maybe longer again depending on traffic and which side of Nashville you're on.

The Corp of Engineers operates Center Hill dam, but TVA does have its release schedule on its free app. Get that app on your smartphone.

roachm

Reaction score
Caney fork
There might be some smaller local streams that are stocked by then but the caney fork is probably your best bet

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

---------- Post added at 09:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:38 PM ----------

Every time I've fished the caney, it was a midge game
Green, brown, black midges
Zebra midge is a good pattern there.
Hopefully someone that fishes it alot can give you a little more info.
I live about 3 hours away and fish it when im traveling for work.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

rodteague

Reaction score
I live in Franklin and have fished most of the waters in central TN. There are places on the Harpeth and West Harpeth that have very good small mouth fishing. Hares ear nymphs and streamers all work well. For trout the Caney is your best bet; nymphing will be no problem. The corp with the cooperation of the TVA keeps the flow very consistent on the Caney now, so wading during lower cfs is very doable. Lancaster, Happy Hollow, Buffalo Valley rest stop, and Betty's Island have easy access for wading. As mentioned by jayr, get the free app from the Tennessee Valley Authority. You'll find a link on their website that will take you to the Apple App Store for free download. If you need more info feel free to PM me.

Best regards

Rod

acorad

Reaction score
Thanks guys, it looks like Caney is the place, although the Elk, with less fishing pressure, is also a potential.

I found a great map of the Caney, with access points, etc., but does anyone have a decent map of the Elk?

Andy

acorad

Reaction score
Hi all,

It looks like Caney is running either 1 or 2 generators pretty much all day long recently.

I've been reading that it's not safe to wade under any generation, is that what you guys think as well?

Andy

mark_lee

Reaction score
Thanks guys, it looks like Caney is the place, although the Elk, with less fishing pressure, is also a potential.

I found a great map of the Caney, with access points, etc., but does anyone have a decent map of the Elk?

Andy
With one day I'd be at the Caney hands down. The Elk is much smaller and people can stack up quick. I love nymphing with small flies for big fish and the Caney is the place to do lt. if their not generating you'll be in business. Shoot me a pm if you have any questions.

---------- Post added at 10:10 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:47 AM ----------

Hi all,

It looks like Caney is running either 1 or 2 generators pretty much all day long recently.

I've been reading that it's not safe to wade under any generation, is that what you guys think as well?

Andy
You do want a 0 generation for wading. Being that your day will be a Friday, the Caney could be hit or miss generation wise. Also being a week day if the Caney is generating the Elk probably won't be. The crowds tend to be worst on the weekends so that would be option #2. As Rod said the Harpeth is a great option for smallmouth. I like to go west of Nashville to Kingston Springs. There are some good wade spots over there.

Reaction score
I may be late to the game for your trip. Caney is best but lately the generation schedule has been unfriendly to wading. Caution: when they turn off the generators you still have to give the Caney a lot of timefor water levels to drop.

With only one day I predict the elk will be where you end up. Not a bad river. I agree with the other post about it getting crowded. I hear it has been good fishing lately though, and I believe it was stocked in the last two weeks.

Hope you enjoy Nashville and the fishing. It is a great place to live.

acorad

Reaction score
Thanks John!

The generation forecast for both rivers didn't look so good, so I went to the Harpeth, which turned out to be very high and murky due to the rain the night before. So I found a small pond, caught a couple dozen bluegill on dry flies, and called it a day.

The next day I went with a fiend to Percy Priest and rented a boat. Guys there were throwing umbrella rigs and catching striper after striper. After a couple hours of no love on the fly, I picked up my buddy's spinning reel and a rubber worm and quickly landed a couple nice sized largemouth bass.

We had a great visit and really love Nashville!

Andy