Chattanooga Fishing Suggestions

williamhj

Reaction score
Hi all, I'm headed to Chattanooga in May and would love some guidance. Going for a long weekend with some buddies to do some trail running, so the focus of the weekend is not fishing. However I might bring along my Tenkara rod, some tippet and flies, which I could bring along on some runs and get a little fishing in. If anyone has suggestions on where to go I'd be grateful. Likely smaller streams and they can be up or down a trail a ways since we'll be looking for a place to relax before running back home :)

Thanks!

jayr

Reaction score
If Trout is what you are looking for, Chattanooga itself has none to offer. Warm water fishing yes, trout no.

The closest area to Chattanooga is probably down in NE GA or up around the Hiawassee river, but it is far from small water, it's a tailwater.

williamhj

Reaction score
thanks for the reply, I was gathering that from what I was reading but good to have it confirmed. I'd be game for some warm water.

roachm

Reaction score
The elk river is a little further away than the hiwassee but it has trout as well.
It's to the west and is also a tailwater.
It's below tims ford dam.
I've fished it a couple times.
There's a local fly shop there close that could probably give you some info.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

lasor1

Reaction score
Tellico river has trout It's a freestone river most trout are up toward nc line we're water is colder also small mouth in river it maybe a little closer than elk you also got the river and streams in the smokey mountains lots of good trout fishing Townsend tn as well all within an 1hr to 1.5 ride from Chattanooga. The tellico river and if you fish inside smokey mountains require a special permit there not much though. Also if you want to fish one of the best trout rivers in Tennessee head on up to the soho next to Bristol tn. There you will find some of the finest trout fishing. You will experience in Tn. Only a 2.5 hr drive from Chattanooga Right now there hitting on small bwos zebra midges black emergers maybe a sulphur late in the day. Stop by a local fly shop and they can hook you up on what's biting right now on whatever river you choose. Good luck hope your trip goes well

jayr

Reaction score
Tellico river has trout It's a freestone river most trout are up toward nc line we're water is colder also small mouth in river it maybe a little closer than elk you also got the river and streams in the smokey mountains lots of good trout fishing Townsend tn as well all within an 1hr to 1.5 ride from Chattanooga. The tellico river and if you fish inside smokey mountains require a special permit there not much though. Also if you want to fish one of the best trout rivers in Tennessee head on up to the soho next to Bristol tn. There you will find some of the finest trout fishing. You will experience in Tn. Only a 2.5 hr drive from Chattanooga Right now there hitting on small bwos zebra midges black emergers maybe a sulphur late in the day. Stop by a local fly shop and they can hook you up on what's biting right now on whatever river you choose. Good luck hope your trip goes well

If you can get from Chattanooga to Townsend in an hour to an hour and a half, you must be driving pretty fast. Same for getting to the SoHo in 2 1/2 hrs. That's hauling the mail!

You only need the daily permit for fishing the Tellico, not the Smokies. There is no special permit for the Smokies only a fishing license which can be either TN or NC for either side. For the Tellico you need the daily and a trout permit in addition to the standard fishing license.

lasor1

Reaction score
If you can get from Chattanooga to Townsend in an hour to an hour and a half, you must be driving pretty fast. Same for getting to the SoHo in 2 1/2 hrs. That's hauling the mail!

You only need the daily permit for fishing the Tellico, not the Smokies. There is no special permit for the Smokies only a fishing license which can be either TN or NC for either side. For the Tellico you need the daily and a trout permit in addition to the standard fishing license.
If you fish inside the smokey Mtn national park like gatlinburg area you do have to have a permit to fish there. I'm not sure we're your from jayr but you can check it out on Special Permits (Resident and Nonresident) - TN.Gov
Also I may drive a little fast lol I worked for the highway dept so I have seen a lot of roads in east tn I guess I take a lot of back roads so add 1 hr to your destinations. I'm sorry jayr I do drive a little fast so around 2-2hrs 15mins to Townsend and about 3 to 3.5 hrs to soho which by the way is well worth the trip. Just my opinions though. Sorry for the mistake. I am use to my driving lol. That is speed limit time and all highway no backroads.

Last edited:

jayr

Reaction score
If you fish inside the smokey Mtn national park like gatlinburg area you do have to have a permit to fish there. I'm not sure we're your from jayr but you can check it out on Special Permits (Resident and Nonresident) - TN.Gov
Also I may drive a little fast lol I worked for the highway dept so I have seen a lot of roads in east tn I guess I take a lot of back roads so add 1 hr to your destinations. I'm sorry jayr I do drive a little fast so around 2-2hrs 15mins to Townsend and about 3 to 3.5 hrs to soho which by the way is well worth the trip. Just my opinions though. Sorry for the mistake. I am use to my driving lol. That is speed limit time and all highway no backroads.
Gatlinburg is not inside the Smoky Mtn National Park. They are separate and totally different regulation wise and fishing wise. And yes I know that Gatlinburg does have a daily permit fee. You originally state fishing inside the GSMNP requires a permit and it doesn't. You need to re-read the regulations as it is clearly spelled out and there is signage inside Gatlinburg that shows this as well. To further differentiate, Gatlinburg stocks their trout and the GSMNP does not.

At the top right of my screen name it shows I live in Knoxville. I have been fishing the GSMNP since the mid 1970's.

I live in Knoxville and work in Chattanooga so I know that drive well, back roads and all. I don't drive slow either as I have contributed to the "McMinn county tourism tax".

lasor1

Reaction score
Jayr man I am just trying to give this guy some good places to fish. That is all so no need any smart comments you know. I wasn't trying to get on your toes I live in the area as well and I know it pretty well and if you know you fish around gsmnp which gatlinburg is in the park you should know that if you live there jayr. And like I said I wasn't trying to step on your toes we all just want to fish and get along here but You need a permit in gatlinburg area which is in gsmnp I was stating it so incase he does fish In Certain areas he will be prepared is all. Nothing more I am just as much as a tax payer as you and it doesn't mean nothing about if you live in an area all your life. I work for highway dept and had road blocks that had to work detours and people say I live here all my life and don't know another way to and from home. So you may know backroads or not And. I'm sorry if I offended you jay r in any way just stating thanks and have a good day and fish on my friend.

jayr

Reaction score
Jayr man I am just trying to give this guy some good places to fish. That is all so no need any smart comments you know. I wasn't trying to get on your toes I live in the area as well and I know it pretty well and if you know you fish around gsmnp which gatlinburg is in the park you should know that if you live there jayr. And like I said I wasn't trying to step on your toes we all just want to fish and get along here but You need a permit in gatlinburg area which is in gsmnp I was stating it so incase he does fish In Certain areas he will be prepared is all. Nothing more I am just as much as a tax payer as you and it doesn't mean nothing about if you live in an area all your life. I work for highway dept and had road blocks that had to work detours and people say I live here all my life and don't know another way to and from home. So you may know backroads or not And. I'm sorry if I offended you jay r in any way just stating thanks and have a good day and fish on my friend.

I was not trying to be smart as you say, but it is erroneous to say that Gatlinburg is in the GSMNP, it simply is not. Gatlinburg rules, regs, season, etc end at the GSMNP boundary. The reason for this distinction is that the fishing, licensing and regulations are very different for each as is what is legal to keep posess, etc. To verify this, consult the TWRA guide and you will see that the regulations for the GSMNP are not even there, they refer you to the GSMNP regulations. Refer to page 32 of the 2016-2017 TWRA Fishing Guide. On page 32, the GSMNP regs are referred to be viewed As published by the GSMNP whereas the City of Gatlinburg regs are on page 33, and both are quite different.

Violations inside the GSMNP are federal violations whereas violations inside the City of Gatlinburg are enforced by the TWRA, the state agency.

If one fishes in either area under the impression they are one in the same, the result most very likely will result in a ticket and fine. That doesn't do anyone any good. I have personally talked to those that do not know the difference and they have received tickets from it.

Last edited:

clsmith131

Reaction score
It's not exactly close to Chattanooga, probably 2 hrs, but one of my favorite spots in Tennessee is the Pigeon River, eastern Tennessee, near the town of Hartford. Great hiking there too, and close to the Appalachian Trail. You can find some good trout fishing during the cooler months, and trophy smallmouth during the warmer months. I would probably go with an 8 wt for the smallmouth though, could get interesting if you drag a streamer past a hungry drum.