Greater Knoxville Area Trip Advice

fishinghippie

Reaction score
Long time reader, first time poster here looking for some advice.

I have a couple buddies who will be hunting turkeys for the Tenn. opener the first weekend of April. Home base will be in Knoxville. Although I have recently gotten into hunting myself, I was not planning on buying a Tenn license until next year to hunt the fall/winter. Instead I was thinking of taking a trip down to join up with them and do some exploring and fishing in the area while they are out chasing gobblers. The plan is to fish Sat - Monday or Tuesday.

I would like to hook up with a guide for at least a full day, possibly 1.5 or 2 depending on funds. I have been doing some research and there are an overwhelming amount of options.

I would love to float, but driving up to the SoHo looks like it would make for a long day. I know there are options closer, but don't know what fishing will entail that time of year. I was also planning on hitting GSMNP for at least a day or two. It appears that a trout stamp isn't required in the park, so that could save some money. I will likely be purchasing a year license and trout stamp anyway being a nonresident, a 10 day license just seems stupid to fish for 4 days. If nothing else it gives me an excuse to go back at least once more to pay for itself. A guided wade trip in the park might also help set me up for the remaining days and future trips.

Any advice that might help me to narrow in on a specific outfitter and/or area to focus in on would be greatly appreciated! Thank you in advance!

-fishinghippie

jayr

Reaction score
To fish the GSMNP all that is required is a fishing license, no other permits required. In fact, either a TN or NC license will do no matter which side you fish.

TN has some of the highest license fees of about any state, both resident and non resident. In fact, I can fish about as cheap in NC as a non resident as I can in TN as a resident.

As for a float trip, the Clinch would be considerably closer than the SoHo. There are several guides to choose from. Google should help. Whichever tailwater you choose, TVA will be the final determiner of that with regards to their discharge schedule.