Thanks Thanks:  7
Likes Likes:  7
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 21 to 28 of 28
  1. Default Re: Gatlinburg Question

    Going in April. Staying in cabin on skirt of gatlinburg.

    Would love to target native bookies.

    Also got green light to get new rod and reel.

    Any recommendations on getting me geared up, and pointing me in the right direction.

    PM is fine. I have no friends so I wonít share details told in confidence.

    Also would like to find an area where I could get my kids age 7 and 8 on some easy fish.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  2. #22
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Knoxville, TN
    Posts
    1,330

    Default Re: Gatlinburg Question

    Quote Originally Posted by 2ltdjorn View Post
    Going in April. Staying in cabin on skirt of gatlinburg.

    Would love to target native bookies.

    Also got green light to get new rod and reel.

    Any recommendations on getting me geared up, and pointing me in the right direction.

    PM is fine. I have no friends so I won’t share details told in confidence.

    Also would like to find an area where I could get my kids age 7 and 8 on some easy fish.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    First off, make sure you know the difference between GSMNP waters and City of Gatlinburg waters, there is a BIG difference in limits, season and licensing.

    Secondly, what rod/equipment do you presently own? Do you plan on continuing to fly fish after your trip or is this just a once in a lifetime thing or very sporadic?

    When you say gear, does that include boots, vest/pack, etc. ?
    Last edited by jayr; 02-27-2020 at 08:40 AM.
    Mainline the blueline

  3. Default Re: Gatlinburg Question

    Quote Originally Posted by jayr View Post
    First off, make sure you know the difference between GSMNP waters and City of Gatlinburg waters, there is a BIG difference in limits, season and licensing.

    Secondly, what rod/equipment do you presently own? Do you plan on continuing to fly fish after your trip or is this just a once in a lifetime thing or very sporadic?

    When you say gear, does that include boots, vest/pack, etc. ?
    Iíve got all the gear. I have two 5wts a 8.5 and 8 ft.

    Iíve been eyeing the Ross Colorado and I think this would be a great excuse, just need to pair with a rod. Was thinking a 7.5 3wt possibly one of moonshine midnight specials.

    Although open to other options.

    It will be used again no doubt.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  4. #24
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Knoxville, TN
    Posts
    1,330

    Default Re: Gatlinburg Question

    Quote Originally Posted by 2ltdjorn View Post
    I’ve got all the gear. I have two 5wts a 8.5 and 8 ft.

    I’ve been eyeing the Ross Colorado and I think this would be a great excuse, just need to pair with a rod. Was thinking a 7.5 3wt possibly one of moonshine midnight specials.

    Although open to other options.

    It will be used again no doubt.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

    Used to, a 7’6” rod in the Smokies was it. I grew up with that. Now, I would opt for an 8’6” due to the added length which helps mending and lifting your line off the water. The swift streams in the Smokies will pull the line and give your fly a bad drift.

    As for a reel, a simple click pawl is more than enough here. All the reel does is hold the line. Having an adjustable drag and/or getting into the backing rarely happens if ever.

    The biggest thing to have when you fish the GSMNP is not the rod, reel or about anything else.....it’s stealth and blending in with the background. These are wild fish here and extremely spooky.

    April is really good month in the Smokies, but we can and do get the occasional cold snap and high water due to rain. Just keep an eye on that when you fish.
    Mainline the blueline

  5. Default Re: Gatlinburg Question

    Good deal. Looking forward to it.

    Do you have any guide services you would recommend, would love to find some wild Appalachian brookies


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  6. #26
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Knoxville, TN
    Posts
    1,330

    Default Re: Gatlinburg Question

    Quote Originally Posted by 2ltdjorn View Post
    Good deal. Looking forward to it.

    Do you have any guide services you would recommend, would love to find some wild Appalachian brookies


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Two fly shops in the area.

    Gatlinburg- Smoky Mountain Angler
    Townsend- Little River Outfitters

    Start there.

    Going back and re-thinking what you said about a rod for the Smokies, I would go with the Redington Classic Trout in 8'6" in a 3 weight since you already have two 5 weights. Normally I would opt for a 4 weight as I think that is about the most versatile rod for the GSMNP, but there's not much difference between the your 5's and a 4.

    If fishing dry or dry/dropper go with no tippet larger than 5x. As the summer progresses and water gets even lower and clearer, I go with 6x and maybe even 6.5x. The fish here are not huge like most tailwater trout.

    If the water gets high and/or stained, have some streamers ready. The big browns are much easier to catch with high, stained water.

    Flies are easy in the Smokies as there are limited food sources and the trout will hit about anything, within reason.

    In April, parachute Adams, yellow neversinks, yellow sallies, female Adams and stimulators will work for dries. For nymphs a bead head pheasant tail, Tellico, Hares ear or possibly a green weenie if warm enough will work.
    Mainline the blueline

  7. Likes 2ltdjorn liked this post
  8. #27

    Default Re: Gatlinburg Question

    Gatlinburg has some kids only fishing areas. They really load these places with fish.

    CHILDRENíS STREAMS

    West Prong Little Pigeon River from a point 100 yards upstream of the Herbert Holt Park entrance downstream to the Gatlinburg By-Pass Bridge.

    Dudley Creek from the Highway 441 Bridge downstream to the West Prong Little Pigeon River.

    LeConte Creek from Painters Branch upstream to National Park Boundary.
    *Disclaimer, I don't always know what I'm talking about.

  9. Thanks 2ltdjorn thanked for this post
    Likes smoke33 liked this post
  10. Default Re: Gatlinburg Question

    Quote Originally Posted by TwoThumbsUp View Post
    Gatlinburg has some kids only fishing areas. They really load these places with fish.

    CHILDRENíS STREAMS

    West Prong Little Pigeon River from a point 100 yards upstream of the Herbert Holt Park entrance downstream to the Gatlinburg By-Pass Bridge.

    Dudley Creek from the Highway 441 Bridge downstream to the West Prong Little Pigeon River.

    LeConte Creek from Painters Branch upstream to National Park Boundary.

    I appreciate insight, hopefully can get my boys on some fish.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Similar Threads

  1. GSMNP fire- Gatlinburg
    By jayr in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 12-11-2016, 08:55 AM
  2. Headed to Cosby/Gatlinburg
    By notenuftoys in forum Southern U.S.
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-08-2015, 02:17 AM
  3. Fly Fishing in Downtown Gatlinburg
    By vitesse304 in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 09-25-2012, 05:05 PM
  4. Gatlinburg TN
    By louisianatrapper in forum Coldwater Fly Fishing
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 12-18-2011, 07:36 PM
  5. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-12-2011, 06:26 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Do Not Sell My Personal Information