Caney Fork River Petition

fredaevans

Reaction score
White City (tad north of Medford) Oar-E-Gone
Several of these here in Oregon; 'Works a treat!' :thmbup: The 'down side' is our fishing reg's, just for fresh water, is 96 pages long:yikes: and a given river can change several times. The Rogue River is a good example .... river's broken into three sections (4?) and from one to the other it's a 'Yes you can, No you can't.'

Going fishing .... bring your GPS.

fae

jayr

Reaction score
There's a petition in place to establish a trophy section on the Caney Fork River in Middle Tennessee. Please check it out.

https://www.change.org/p/tennessee-wildlife-resource-agency-make-the-caney-fork-a-world-renowned-fishery
I know that the Hiwassee and Clinch both had trophy sections years ago. For some reason they were removed. That was a long time ago and maybe someone with a better memory than me can elaborate. Did the Caney Fork have one as well?

I would be very interested to know why they were removed. My best guess is enforcement was a problem, but again, this is just a guess.

Anyone?

mark_lee

Reaction score
I know that the Hiwassee and Clinch both had trophy sections years ago. For some reason they were removed. That was a long time ago and maybe someone with a better memory than me can elaborate. Did the Caney Fork have one as well?

I would be very interested to know why they were removed. My best guess is enforcement was a problem, but again, this is just a guess.

Anyone?
To my knowledge the Caney Fork has not had any specifically managed section for catch and release (trophy water). I know that it was pushed 15 years or so ago and what I was told is it was shot down by some adjacent land owners.

Not sure about the Hiwassee and Clinch, but I am interested as well.

jayr

Reaction score
To my knowledge the Caney Fork has not had any specifically managed section for catch and release (trophy water). I know that it was pushed 15 years or so ago and what I was told is it was shot down by some adjacent land owners.

Not sure about the Hiwassee and Clinch, but I am interested as well.

I am relying on a lot of memory here, but the Clinch and Hiwassee had trophy sections starting about the mid 80's and for whatever reason were removed, I want to say back in the mid 90's maybe? I am sure I stand corrected on those dates but I am also not remembering the reasoning for removing them. It might pay to find that out in order to see what you may have coming your way.

Reaction score
If my memory is right I believe they said the trophy section on the Clinch didn't accomplish what they wanted and enforcement was a pain. It has been replaced with a slot limit protecting trout between 14"-20" with only one trout longer than 20" allowed. The new rules are for the whole river instead of a section.

Reaction score
Signed.

I know there is a trophy section on the Watauga. Hope this happens. Live in Nashville area. Caney is best local option.

trs

Reaction score
Signed, caney fork was the first place I fished for trout.

Sent from my Lenovo TAB 2 A10-70F using Tapatalk