Info Needed

scorpion1971

Reaction score
I will be staying at 106 Lazy Cove Lane,LaFollette, TN 37766 from 9 June 18 to 16 June 18 for my parents 50th anniversary. I would like to do some fishing while in the area. I have never been to Tennessee or North Carolina. I would like to do some fishing for trout and some fishing on Powell River or even Norris Lake. I have a kayak I could take if needed. I am looking for info on where to fish, fly shops in the area, and even recommended guides. Would be nice to fish in the Great Smoky Mountains National Park but not sure of the drive. Could even drive down to NC for some fishing if it is not to far. Also, since I volunteer with PHW what are the local chapters in the area? Do they have a facebook page I could check out and see if anyone in the area would like to get together for a day? Thanks again in advance.

jayr

Reaction score
Norris lake is obvious the closest to where you will be. Lots of good fishing there.

From there to the Smokies will be in the 2 to 2 1/2 hour range depending on where exactly you go. Add another hour or more to go to NC of course depending on exactly where in NC you go.

The biggest obstacle that's time of the year will be the crowds and traffic.

As for fly shops, there is one in Knoxville and one in Townsend.

What direction are you coming from?

Last edited:

scorpion1971

Reaction score
I am coming down from Indianapolis. I usually do not fish for trout as there are not many places here in Indy except for put and take which is usually crowed the first few weekends and they get fished out quickI would like to get into some panfish for a fish fry one night but also want to catch some brookies, browns, and rainbows. My local fly fishing club had Bob Ivins from Mountain Trout Outfitters as a guest speaker earlier this year and planned on getting some info from them as far as a Guide. Other than that I am not sure where to begin.

Also need to know if I need to have my kayak registered or something to be able to use it in Tennessee. Here in Indiana we currently only need a non motorized permit which cost $5 per year. If we put a motor on kayaks we need to register and put numbers on the side along with a $20 motorized permit for the year. So any and all info people are willing to part with is welcomed. Thanks Again.

jayr

Reaction score
I am coming down from Indianapolis. I usually do not fish for trout as there are not many places here in Indy except for put and take which is usually crowed the first few weekends and they get fished out quickI would like to get into some panfish for a fish fry one night but also want to catch some brookies, browns, and rainbows. My local fly fishing club had Bob Ivins from Mountain Trout Outfitters as a guest speaker earlier this year and planned on getting some info from them as far as a Guide. Other than that I am not sure where to begin.

Also need to know if I need to have my kayak registered or something to be able to use it in Tennessee. Here in Indiana we currently only need a non motorized permit which cost $5 per year. If we put a motor on kayaks we need to register and put numbers on the side along with a $20 motorized permit for the year. So any and all info people are willing to part with is welcomed. Thanks Again.
Whatever your state of residence will dictate the boat registration.

As for brookies, browns and rainbows, the Smokies is where you need to go. Brookies are high in elevation. You're pretty much looking at 2 hours or a little more to get there.

Check out 3Rivers Angler in Knoxville and Little River Outfitters in Townsend for guides. LRO is probably your better option. The Clinch river below Norris dam is a very good trout fishery, but it's a tailwater with mostly rainbows and browns. Depending on the discharge will dictate the wadeability of the river.

All of the trout in the Smokies are wild, there are no stockers. They are also very spooky and the water is gin clear. Stealth is the key word. I have fished there for 35 plus years and can not begin to tell you how many come here and are humbled.