The Lexington-Louisville industrial complex, and your luck fly fishing for trout.

adblouky

Reaction score
I live in Louisville. As you know, trout are not native to Kentucky and are stocked in many local streams and lakes during the cold months.

In over 10 hours I have not caught a single trout, not on the lakes, not in the streams, nowhere. I use a 4W rod and have been largely double nymphing with a strike indicator and a tiny weight near the end of the line. I generally go to Floyds Fork gravel bar and Miles lake.

I've also resorted to an Ugly Stick with a drop line and trout pellets, and that hasn't worked either.

Any thoughts?

karstopo

Reaction score
Texas does the same deal by stocking trout at many. many spots all over the state in the colder season. From the reports I've seen, seems like the fish aren't too picky once they have a little time to get use to their new surroundings. I see folks catching them on crawfish patterns, gold panther martins, the pellets. There's a stocking schedule and people plan on hitting the spots hours after the fish get put in. Most here are taking limits for the table. Maybe the fish are getting thinned out by the time you get on the water?

karstopo

Reaction score
Super Duper

I keep reading accounts of these lures in gold as being irresistible to freshly stocked trout. There’s a contingent of folks that learn the stocking schedule and basically follow the stocking truck from river to river. Yesterday, the truck with the trout was dumping them in the Blanco River near Wimberley. Today, it’s the Guadalupe. The guys then show up and catch and retain their five fish limit and C&R a few more, post up some photos, rinse, repeat.

c web

Reaction score
Super Duper

I keep reading accounts of these lures in gold as being irresistible to freshly stocked trout. There’s a contingent of folks that learn the stocking schedule and basically follow the stocking truck from river to river. Yesterday, the truck with the trout was dumping them in the Blanco River near Wimberley. Today, it’s the Guadalupe. The guys then show up and catch and retain their five fish limit and C&R a few more, post up some photos, rinse, repeat.
You beat me to it. Locals where I fish will find freshly stocked trout and catch their limit, shuttle the fish back to their house and return for another limit until the fish are gone.

lexfly

Reaction score
Check the trout stocking schedule. Kentucky Department of Fish & Wildlife
Trout Stocking Schedule
. The haven't stocked Floyds Fork recently. If you don't mind a drive and I think it is C n R now (maybe not) try Otter Creek Park in Meade County. I have only fished it once but it is a very productive place. And they stocked it in November. Google or youtube otter creek. Part of it runs thru federal land (military) that you have to have a different permit to fish I think. Never fished into that part.