Guadalupe River Get Away

Cigarsnjeeps

Reaction score
Headed out to camp in New Braunfels this weekend to do a shakedown run on the new fish shack. Didn't do too bad, got my first brownie. Saw him hit and he must have spit it just as I set, because I hooked him on the head. Also had a really nice bow on, but he outsmarted me and took a run as I was reaching for my net and hooked my lead nymph in my calf and broke off. Smart dude. And missed a couple others because I was late on the set. Overall a good weekend. I needed it.

@cigarsnjeeps

karstopo

Reaction score
Didn't realize they had a trout river in south TX.
Thanks to 125’ deep water locked up behind the Dam at Canyon Lake. They release enough cold water year around off the bottom of the dam to allow trout to hold over and I believe, at least in the case of Rainbow Trout, even breed.

I haven’t fished there since college in the 1980s, but I believe the GRTU is the biggest chapter of TU in the USA. The Guadalupe river becomes one continuous party of innertubers in the summer so that might not be the time to go.

I’d like to go just for the monster Striped Bass that hand out just below the dam. The bass are said to grow big on the not so wary stocker trout. The state record fly rod striper at 36 plus pounds came the dam area.