Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  12

Default Cumberland Lake and River flooded.

Due to recent rains Lake Cumberland is at the highest level it has ever been.The dam at Wolf Creek has all 10 discharge gates open and today they are releasing water into the river at a rate of 60,000 feet per second.Thats enough water to fill 2 olympic size swimming pools in 3 seconds.I have never seen this river like this and i have been fishing there for over 45 yrs.The boat ramps are disappearing and parking lots are covered.Good news is we are supposed to be dry for a few days.
    Last edited by kentuckysteve; 03-10-2019 at 10:18 AM.
    -Steve

"There is no greater fan of fly fishing than the worm."-Patrick f. McManus

2. Likes karstopo, mcnerney liked this post
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Cumberland Lake and River flooded.

Wow!

Not much more to say about that Steve, wow.

Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard
    Ard's Forum blog, Alaska Outdoors

4. Likes kentuckysteve liked this post
    Blog Entries

Nice drone footage. Floods are messy. Natural part of the whole system. The water doesnít look especially silt laden, but it is an interesting color. 60k cfs, 2 pools a second, those numbers I get.

Our local river goes from droughts to gigantic floods. The last massive flood last year deposited tons of silt at the local boat ramp. Had to bring in heavy equipment to remove the debris. High water run off has messed up a lot of my favorite fishing spots this winter.

It will be interesting to see the changes your flood brings.
    Wherever you go, there you are.

6. Likes kentuckysteve liked this post

Last I heard, the river was at the top of the step pools of Hatchery Creek. Did it go any further?

Haven't been back to fish there in a couple years, but it was impressive how much thought and planning had gone in to creating a thriving fishery.

- WB

8. Likes kentuckysteve liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by karstopo View Post
    Nice drone footage. Floods are messy. Natural part of the whole system. The water doesnít look especially silt laden, but it is an interesting color. 60k cfs, 2 pools a second, those numbers I get.

Our local river goes from droughts to gigantic floods. The last massive flood last year deposited tons of silt at the local boat ramp. Had to bring in heavy equipment to remove the debris. High water run off has messed up a lot of my favorite fishing spots this winter.

It will be interesting to see the changes your flood brings.
    Yea i was thinking about the debris and mud that will be left behind when all this goes down.It's going to be a mess.They just completed Hatchery Creek this past year.This is a new man made trout stream that starts at the hatchery and runs a few miles and ties into the river.A wonderful place to fish.The stream was doing really well.I hope it still does well after all this.
    -Steve

10. Likes karstopo, mcnerney liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by WoollyBourbon View Post
    Last I heard, the river was at the top of the step pools of Hatchery Creek. Did it go any further?

Haven't been back to fish there in a couple years, but it was impressive how much thought and planning had gone in to creating a thriving fishery.

- WB
    I was there saturday and it was not that high yet but well on it's way.I would guess today it is well above that.

I agree.It is very impressive how it all came together and how well it has succeeded.This will sure be a test for it though.Hopefully it won't wash out a lot of the stream.
    -Steve

12. Likes WoollyBourbon liked this post
    Blog Entries

Wow, that is a lot of water! I'm guessing there won't be church service in that little church this coming Sunday!
    Larry

14. Likes kentuckysteve liked this post

My daughter lives on a bluff overlooking the Cumberland just upstream of Lake Barkley. She said there's a lot of water flowing by right now, I guess she's right.

16. Likes mcnerney, kentuckysteve liked this post
  17. Default Re: Cumberland Lake and River flooded.

The river has seen floods before. And it will again. I haven’t fished there in a couple years, but grew up on that lake and used to fish the tailwater 10-15 times per year. I quit when two conditions came together. The dam repairs that lowered the lake level, raised water temps, and made releases less predictable AND $4/gallon gas. It’s right at a 100 mile drive for me. I decided to take up river smallmouth during those conditions (closer) and drifted to saltwater since then. I’ve not fished the lower C-land in a while, but loved it when it was my regular fishery.

18. Likes kentuckysteve liked this post