GSMNP report

jayr

Reaction score
For anyone coming to the Smokies in the near future be aware the streams are extremely low. Not as bad on the NC side but the TN side is very low. Granted they tend to get low around now, but they are almost at record lows especially the Little River watershed.

FYI

jwbowen

Reaction score
I just got back from 4 days backcountry in the GSMNP. Water is very low and crystal clear.
Fishing was good though on the NC side for nymping the holes. Dry flies were very tough.

jwbowen

Reaction score
Im headed up camping on Tuesday. I would have waited a couple more days
but looks like rain later this week.

mike_r

Reaction score
How crowded was it Jay? I may head up tomorrow as I spoiled my wife today for Mother’s day. She has to work tonight anyway

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jayr

Reaction score
How crowded was it Jay? I may head up tomorrow as I spoiled my wife today for Mother’s day. She has to work tonight anyway

I really can’t say. I was waaaaayyy off the beaten path. I didn’t go in any main entrance.

Going back tomorrow and I should know more as I’m going in through Townsend.

mike_r

Reaction score
I usually head in through Townsend as that is the easiest access for me coming from Roane county.

jayr

Reaction score
I went back today and in through the Townsend entrance.

I was fully expecting far more people today although it is Mother’s Day so I know that had to impact attendance.

I saw 3 different guys fishing (spread out up the river) between the Wye and the Sinks. Maybe one other up above Metcalf. Not many to say the least.

I fished a few hours and on the way back out saw a few more different ones but again not many.

I am thinking with the roads to Elkmont and Tremont completely shut down, this has limited those that are fishing up there at least for now.

jwbowen

Reaction score
Spoke with a friend that lives walking distance to the Bryson City park entrance.
She hiked up 3 miles and only saw 2 fisherman after the 3rd bridge. One of them
fished up to 57. Thats a lot of hiking and not much fishing if he did it in one day!
She said still plenty of parking at 1030 am.