Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  5

Default GSMNP is closing, FYI

For those that fish or might be traveling there to fish, the GSMNP will be closed starting today at 12 noon through April 6. This includes all roads, trails, bathrooms, visitor centers, everything. The gates will be locked at the entrances.

Just trying to save someone the travel time in order to find this out.

Access Restricted

Great Smoky Mountains National Park to close amid virus outbreak

Access Denied
    Mainline the blueline

2. Likes mcnerney liked this post

Default Re: GSMNP is closing, FYI

They have already closed RMNP.
    The only thing human kind ever learned through history, is that through history, human kind has learned nothing.

Army Corps of Engineers' boat ramps are beginning to close also.

5. Default Re: GSMNP is closing, FYI

Interesting. We were booked to go to cabin Easter weekend... looks like that is shutdown! What a mess.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is absolutely ridiculous. Distance yourself as long as it isn't in the outdoors. Unbelievable and I've had enough of this nonsense. I think we're all smart and adult enough to make our own decisions. Thankfully government is here to save us all.

7. Likes jayr, MDC183 liked this post

Believe me, I will start freaking out if I can't get out into our local NP brookie streams. I'm arrogant enough to think/know I can take care of myself and even if they locked gates, I'd be just fine on foot or bike. But the reality is that the parks are not being closed to protect visitors. They're being closed to protect staff.

I would not want to put a park employee at risk, exposing them to hordes of tourons, just so *i* could have privilege of fly fishing.

9. Likes dharkin liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by nawagner View Post
    This is absolutely ridiculous. Distance yourself as long as it isn't in the outdoors. Unbelievable and I've had enough of this nonsense. I think we're all smart and adult enough to make our own decisions. Thankfully government is here to save us all.
    The sad thing is we are not all smart enough and adult enough ...take a drive by your local Lowe’s the parking lot is likely full. The sun came out here last weekend, the state parks were overflowing with people, many from out of state - now the parks are closed. I know they banned public beach access in one part of South Carolina, so the crowds congregated on a sand bar !

Hopefully people will stay home and practice social distancing. But as Forest Gump said “Stupid is as stupid does”.

11. Likes vaheelsfan liked this post

I say we all just try this. A simple adaptation of fishing in grizzly bear country to social distancing. If someone gets too close spray them. If they keep coming, pop a cap in them.

IMG_5146.jpg
    Kevin
    "Fight like you're the 3rd monkey trying to get on Noah's Ark"
    "Not every day is filled with sunshine. Some days you're the pigeon, some days you're the statue"
    "If God had intended for man to only fish on weekends, He never would have created the other 5 days of the week."

Extended "Until at least April 30th" according to website. I wish they could keep
    trails open and close areas where people usually gather in large numbers.