Heading to Smokies - Places to fish with kids

stuck_in_indy

Reaction score
Hello, I will be staying in Sevierville, TN for a week from March 30-April 4th and want to take my 2 daughters (ages 6 and 9) fly fishing for the first time. I plan on going to a fly shop to get some intel and local patterns, but in my experience, sometimes the best information can be from all of you. Any help on streams that have some room to cast and there is a trail along them? Thanks for your help -- I really want their first experience to be a good one. This is a big opportunity for me! Cheers!

hokiehunter07

Reaction score
It's almost cheating, but they stock the town of Gatlinburg every Thursday I believe. Fishing is closed on the stocking day, but Friday there are tons of trout everywhere.

It's a $10 fee per person although I don't know if that applies to kids as well. Additionally there's a park called Mynatt Park that is specifically a kids fishing area. The Gatlinburg Fee will allow you to fish there as well.

smoky mountain angler in Gatlinburg can set you up with everything you need.

There are other places that are open and easily accessible but are fished pretty hard. If you do enough searching there are several websites with plenty of information.

lexfly

Reaction score
Check out Little River Outfitters in Townsend too. It is east of seiverville, but they are extremely helpful.

hokiehunter07

Reaction score
Check out Little River Outfitters in Townsend too. It is east of seiverville, but they are extremely helpful.
Be careful at LRO... That's such a nice shop with helpful folks you could easily walk out with $3000 worth of new equipment before you knew what happened.

Definitely worth the trip if you head out that way... So good but heavily pressured water out there as well that would fit your requirements.

mysticm

Reaction score
Hello, I will be staying in Sevierville, TN for a week from March 30-April 4th and want to take my 2 daughters (ages 6 and 9) fly fishing for the first time. I plan on going to a fly shop to get some intel and local patterns, but in my experience, sometimes the best information can be from all of you. Any help on streams that have some room to cast and there is a trail along them? Thanks for your help -- I really want their first experience to be a good one. This is a big opportunity for me! Cheers!
If you are based in Sevierville, I second the suggestion to fish the delayed harvest waters between Pigeon forge and Gatlinburg. Your kids will have a great time. If you tie flies, plan on using some bright nymphs (e.g. rainbow warriors, frenchies, egg patterns, San Juan worms). Google is your friend for tying videos :) If you don't tie then stop by the FF shop in Gatlinburg for advice on the hot pattern of the day.
LRO is a great fly shop but it is on other end of the park from you and with traffic the drive can be excruciating (lots of drive through tourists whose idea of being one with nature is opening both doors of their minivans while zipping along at 10 mph)

waterfordcreek

Reaction score
Nice....I live in the area!!

LRO is by far the best shop I have ever been in.

You also have Orvis in Sevierville and Smokey Mountain Angler in Gburg off 321.

The West Prong of the Little Pigeon River from Sevierville through PF is also great for Smallies about half way up the Spur. A good spot in PF for stockers is behind the Old Mill Eatery. Nice little park with plenty of parking.

As far as fishing Gburg. Other than the childrens only area...which i would recommend.....I would pass on the rest. It is not easy access...rough to fish...and has the largest concentration of timber rattlers I have even seen. If you HAVE to...concentrate in front of No Way Jose's, across from the Hilton....and the big hole just before the Peddler. SJ worms and egg patterns work well.....just getem deep!

Room to cast......:yikes:....not a whole lot. Most of the time it will be a roll cast or a water load. The most room would be at the old mill.

Personally, head to the GSMNP. Elkmont campground and park at the Little river trailhead. Access to bathrooms for the girls....a great trail that runs along Little River. Plenty of history lessons in the area......

GOOD LUCK......and remember to post pic's....

Jim

---------- Post added at 09:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:09 PM ----------

If you are based in Sevierville, I second the suggestion to fish the delayed harvest waters between Pigeon forge and Gatlinburg. Your kids will have a great time. If you tie flies, plan on using some bright nymphs (e.g. rainbow warriors, frenchies, egg patterns, San Juan worms). Google is your friend for tying videos :) If you don't tie then stop by the FF shop in Gatlinburg for advice on the hot pattern of the day.
LRO is a great fly shop but it is on other end of the park from you and with traffic the drive can be excruciating (lots of drive through tourists whose idea of being one with nature is opening both doors of their minivans while zipping along at 10 mph)

The area between PF and Gatlinburg is called the Spur. Some smallies, the only trout you will find is those making it downstream from the stocking area in Gburg. It is usually an area I fish in the Dead of winter for the hold over stockers.

Smokey Mountain Angler is also full of some good people. Good guides....and they always know what pet fly is working for the stockers.

Great advise by all!!!!!!!

---------- Post added at 09:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:15 PM ----------

Be careful at LRO... That's such a nice shop with helpful folks you could easily walk out with $3000 worth of new equipment before you knew what happened.

Definitely worth the trip if you head out that way... So good but heavily pressured water out there as well that would fit your requirements.

Huh....Now that I think about it.....You could base out of LRO....and fish the stocked waters of Townsend.....Pretty much from the GSMNP Boundary through Towsend. Soooooo many decisions....

lil_ol_angler_me

Reaction score
Get a copy of ian rutters book.
East tenn trout fishing

exceptionally helpful

it was my bible when i did a month long trip where you are going