The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > >

Southern U.S. Alabama, Mississippi, Tennessee and Kentucky. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Old 01-10-2017, 01:18 AM

zug buggin is a splendid one to beholdzug buggin is a splendid one to beholdzug buggin is a splendid one to beholdzug buggin is a splendid one to beholdzug buggin is a splendid one to beholdzug buggin is a splendid one to beholdzug buggin is a splendid one to behold
Default Cumberland river

Anybody fished the Cumberland River in Kentucky recently? I've lucked into a free trip with a guide friend of mine next week and wondering whats working on the river so I can get on the vise and crank out some flies
The fisherman now is one who defies society, who rips lips, who drains the pool, who takes no prisoners, who is not to be confused with the sissy with the creel and bamboo rod. Granted, he releases what he catches, but in some cases, he strips the quarry of its perilous soul before tossing it back in the water. What was once a trout – cold, hard, spotted and beautiful – becomes “number seven.”
Tom McGuane
Old 01-10-2017, 08:14 AM

kentuckysteve has a brilliant futurekentuckysteve has a brilliant futurekentuckysteve has a brilliant futurekentuckysteve has a brilliant futurekentuckysteve has a brilliant futurekentuckysteve has a brilliant futurekentuckysteve has a brilliant futurekentuckysteve has a brilliant futurekentuckysteve has a brilliant futurekentuckysteve has a brilliant futurekentuckysteve has a brilliant future
Default Re: Cumberland river

I have not been in a few weeks but my friends fish it pretty often.They have caught a few nice browns just a few miles below the dam.Right now midges are hot.

zebra midge red or black sz 14,16
disco midge sz 16
green or red BH Brassies sz 18
PTN's
red copper john's
green caddis pupae

If the water is high streamers are great.
Black wooly buggers
Darker color clousers
mini zonkers

Hope you catch some nice ones!

Here is a water release schedule for the dam if you are fishing that part of the river.
https://www.tva.gov/Environment/Lake-Levels/Wolf-Creek
Likes clouserguyky liked this post
Old 01-10-2017, 07:36 PM

zug buggin is a splendid one to beholdzug buggin is a splendid one to beholdzug buggin is a splendid one to beholdzug buggin is a splendid one to beholdzug buggin is a splendid one to beholdzug buggin is a splendid one to beholdzug buggin is a splendid one to behold

Thanks Steve its the first time on the Cumberland for me cant wait
The fisherman now is one who defies society, who rips lips, who drains the pool, who takes no prisoners, who is not to be confused with the sissy with the creel and bamboo rod. Granted, he releases what he catches, but in some cases, he strips the quarry of its perilous soul before tossing it back in the water. What was once a trout – cold, hard, spotted and beautiful – becomes “number seven.”
Tom McGuane
Old 01-11-2017, 04:01 PM

denver1911 is a splendid one to beholddenver1911 is a splendid one to beholddenver1911 is a splendid one to beholddenver1911 is a splendid one to beholddenver1911 is a splendid one to beholddenver1911 is a splendid one to behold

Post up your results! I grew up fishing it. Moved away as a young adult, but made regular trips there (10+ per year) in the late 90s and early 2000s. When the dam was under repair, I quit making the trek and have drifted toward the mountains, closeby smallmouth, and trips to the salt. I suspect the big C will once again be a regular haunt of mine somewhere down the road.
Old 03-11-2017, 07:06 PM

There is a decent population of large fish in the river still but its nowhere near what it use it use to be. The only larger fish I had on was at the mouth of Hatchery Creek which Im sure the big fish from the Cumberland River were using Hatchery Creek as a buffet.
Tom McGuane